11-32 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Jeffery

Hi, I have a Giant propel with a 11-32 cassette on it, I've just bought a new Cervelo S3 with a 11-30 cassette as standard. Could I use the 11-32 cassette on the new bike without making any other adjustments? TIA
Mike

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be okay, the existing chain may be okay too. Even if 32t is outside of you existing derailleurs range (Check on the spec sheet) it can usually be exceed by a small margin. If it doesn’t work well you could try a gear range extender like a wolftooth which pulls the mech away from the cassette.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Hi, I have a Giant propel with a 11-32 cassette on it, I've just bought a new Cervelo S3 with a 11-30 cassette as standard. Could I use the 11-32 cassette on the new bike without making any other adjustments?
Let's assume that the cassettes are both 11sp (though worth asking).
The new bike (with an 11-30) will (probably) have a chain matched (in life/miles done) to that cassette. Swap the cassette for the 11-32 (how many miles has that done, on how many chains?) and you may find that the Cervelo chain skates on the 11-32 cassette. I recommend you ride the 11-30 (and its chain) to the 'end of life'/retirement (however you decide that - eg when it starts skating) and THEN swap both cassette and chain (from the Propel) over. Provided the large chainrings are the same tooth count and provided the chainstay length (c-c BB to rear dropout) is the same within a cm, then everything will fit.

OP
OP
M

Mike Jeffery

Let's assume that the cassettes are both 11sp (though worth asking).
The new bike (with an 11-30) will (probably) have a chain matched (in life/miles done) to that cassette. Swap the cassette for the 11-32 (how many miles has that done, on how many chains?) and you may find that the Cervelo chain skates on the 11-32 cassette. I recommend you ride the 11-30 (and its chain) to the 'end of life'/retirement (however you decide that - eg when it starts skating) and THEN swap both cassette and chain (from the Propel) over. Provided the large chainrings are the same tooth count and provided the chainstay length (c-c BB to rear dropout) is the same within a cm, then everything will fit.
Thank you

Top Bottom