11 -34 cassette on Van Nicholas Yukon commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maroon

Über Member
Hullo,
Been away a while enjoying the bike, but now feel it time for an upgrade. I've already changed the wheels to hand build Paul Hewitts ultegra hubs which I love.
My question is can I fit a 11-34 cassette onto a ten speed Ultegra and how difficult is it my lbs says it's not impossible but advises not to due to gear changing being unreliable but that's one opinion as evans cycles reckon this can be done any clues please that don't involve rebuiling the whole bike?????????
Thanks in advance...

PPS Ian please help, I know your out there don't let me down.

Tim Hall

What cassette us on there at present? What is your hoped for outcome by doing this?

Tim Hall

Ok, next questions. What chainset, or more accurately, how many teeth on the chain rings (I'm assuming it's a double). Which rear mech? Any markings/model number to let us know how long the cage is?

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Bikes not with me today so can't give more details at the moment apologises Tim but as a general guide is it possible?

Nibor

Bewildered
If it is a road triple it is most likely a 50 39 30 if you have a long cage rear derailleur which 9s likely with a triple then it should fit with a tweak of the b screw. May also need a new chain depending on the wear on the old one.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
I have but i'm being told by my lbs , I could use an xt large cage but he says the gearings not too smooth therefore he advises against it. I looked it up Shimano do not produce deraillieurs to cope beyond 30th on a 10 speed

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
thanks nibor I tried changing the chain and tweaking the B screw, tbh I also checked with Evans Cycles they reckon it's doable as well. Not sure if my lbs is up to it or being honest?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have but i'm being told by my lbs , I could use an xt large cage but he says the gearings not too smooth therefore he advises against it. I looked it up Shimano do not produce deraillieurs to cope beyond 30th on a 10 speed

My commuter/winter/tourer bike has 10 speed Tiagra group set & it copes fine with a 32t rear cassette :okay: On tour last year my smallest gear wasn't enough for some hills whilst carrying luggage, so before I went away this year I fit a 32t cassette, probably needs another link in the chain to use the 32t on the big chainring though :blush:

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Ahhh
But would I need to change the whole group set to achieve this , a bit extreme methinks for 8 extra teeth

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t know where you got that from but they can go up to 40t or even more I think. As for smooth changes maybe ask an MTBer how his performs.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Thanks for the reply.......so confused now as what should be my next step
tbh I'm a bit disappointed as I had hoped to support my lbs but from the comments above I'm starting to think maybe this may be beyond them, I'm loathed to go to Evans but I'd really like this done.

Any thoughts people???????

Top Bottom