11 speed compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbylee

hi im looking to change the crankset on my bike to the new 11speed shimano 105 crankset, the bike is equiped with 9 speed tiagra groupset,is this compatable i have used ten speed cranks on 9 speed before but im not familiar with the new 11 speed groups and the differences,thankyou for any help

Last edited:
Punctuation may help us to understand your problem.

shadow master

hi im looking to change the crankset on my bike to the new 11speed shimano 105 crankset, the bike is equiped with 9 speed tiagra groupset,is this compatable i have used ten speed cranks on 9 speed before but im not familiar with the new 11 speed groups and the differences,thankyou for any help
Why?

Cubist

Still wavin'
The only issue will be when you decide to upgrade the rest of the groupset. AFAIK 11 speed cassettes don't fit on 9/10 speed free hubs without adapters, spacers or a new freehub body, depending on type.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Perhaps @tubbylee has found a bargain, or wants to upgrade to a nicer looking, lighter Chainset? If you do the maths, if you have worn out your chainrings it can be cheaper to change the entire crankset by the time you have costed up aftermarket or replacement rings. Especially as big outlets discount current OEM chainsets much more than "obsolete" standards. Example. A 9 speed XT M770 crankset costs around £120, but you can pick up a 10 speed M780 for less than £90.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Top Bottom