11 speed gearing problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all After much deliberation bought a Carbon Sportive Planet X RT58 As have been used to a triple chainwheel and the RT 58 is a compact 50-34 chainwheel . I though I would fit the 6800 Ultegra RD. GS medium cage and a 11-32 cassette. Fitting the items is easy but some some reason when under load ( i.e. with me on the bike) difficulty changing up and down the Cassette becomes apparent more so at the higher end of the cassette between the 14 and the 11 sprocket. But All performs ok with the bike in the work stand and no load Would be well pleased for a few pointers from any of you thats had the same problem.
I have been quite good at messing and doing repairs to bikes As have changed RD's 8 to 9 speed and had no problem I wonder if its just that the sprockets are so much narrower so the adjustment is far more critcal?

uclown2002

Guru
Was the shifting crisp before you changed the rear mech?

I've got a 11 speed RT-58 Ultegra composite and my shifting is super crisp. I do have a bit of chain rub at the front in both extreme gears but that's another story.

Hiya Uclown. Well now you come to mention it, it was pretty crisp though only did about 7 miles on it then before I changed the set up I don't think I used all the gears when first took it out to set up the saddle and bars properly then But the ride today took me up some 10% climbs and did a longer ride Perhaps the answer is take some tools with me and adjust as I go along?
Also I have noticed that the chain seems mighty close to the outer cage of the front though still about 1/2 a mm away

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I was under the impression that you would need a long cage rear mech if you were using an 11 - 32 cassette.

Had the same problem. Great on the stand, went well for the first fews miles, then it got rough and funnily on high gears. Back on the stand, reindexed and when under load it got worse. Did it again and same thing.

Traced it to connecting pin on chain, one of the plates is slightly out. I am speculating that it is X8XX problem. No issues with X7XX series or 10, 9 speed.

Tojo

Über Member
Have you lengthened the chain since you fitted the med cage and larger cassette from the short .....?

many thanks to you all for your replies So in answer to Tojo first I haven't touched the chain other than to take off and measure to see if it was the correct length for the new 11-32 set up. The chain calculator said 54 links for the 410 mm chain stay and 50-34 front rings and 11-32 cassette and that's what the existing one that came with the bike was So I presume the calculator to be right.
Arrowfoot Haven't looked at the connecting link as probably the last thing I would think of I am not sure of your X8XX meaning, me being a bit slow but will look at it later on to see if its twisted at all though seemed to click up easily to reconnect.

Fossyant Well that seems a sound idea and as I said It will be my next move after this infernal rain and gusty windy ceases
Screenman And as to touching the front mech, as you say will leave until I've sorted this rear problem.
Once again many thanks to all who have replied

I was under the impression that you would need a long cage rear mech if you were using an 11 - 32 cassette.
GS is Medium, there technically isn't a long cage in road bike groupsets SS (short cage) or GS (medium cage) though it seems the GS is being refereed to as long cage these days.

@antnee if possible take the chain off run round the front and rear large cogs without going through the RD and give it one extra whole link, this well ensure the chain is the correct length. A short chain would really manifest itself on the lower gear, as this would be pulling the RD to its extreme whilst on the the large front. I always find what works on a stand doesn't always work on the road, I have just fitted a CS-6700 12-23, (can't stand big gaps in the cassette) with a CN-6700 at first I though the chain a bit naff over my previous KMC chain but having done about 400 miles on it seems to be settling in and shifting better as does the cassette, but it did require a few tweaks.

thanks Nige I think the chain is long enough as I did what you suggested before I found that chain calculator web site and find that it is OK in length as I said I think ive to get out on it and be forearmed with Allen key,pliers and small screwdriver cheers

Top Bottom