11 speed MTB cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leep

Hi guys
Hope your all well and keeping safe .
It may off been asked before but I want to change my 8 speed cassette to a 12 speed one
My bike is a Carrera hellcat 29 ,is mine a hub or free and also what would I need
Thanks for anyone who helps me

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
:welcome:
I've corrected the spelling of cassette.
[removes Mod hat]
Are you wanting an 11 speed, or a 12 speed?
Either way, it's going to need pretty much the whole transmission changing, so it won't be cheap...

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you want to get an 11 or 12 speed? Can’t you just get a 9 speed that gives you the same speed of gears top and bottom?
is it a double or triple on the front?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It won't be cheap, and I'd research the cost of 12 speed cassettes !

Assuming 3 x 8, just keep it. Even to go to 10 speed, new shifters and possibly a new mech.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
2 x 8 be fine.

Any change in 'speeds' is going to be expensive.

EG:-
10 speed chain £15,
10 speed shifter £50,
10 speed Cassette £45
10 speed Mech £50

Soon adds up. 12 speed then it's new wheel time unless it's Sram SX, but all above will need replacing and the cassettes are nearer £80-£100

OP
OP
Leep

Leep

Hi guys
Thanks for the reply I dont want spend a fortune. My mate as a 2 x 9 and he just seems to pull away .I am fit so it's not that I cant keep up am new to biking that's why I only brought a cheap bike but just want to have a little bit more
It has 2 on the front

Attachments

• 20201119_161625.jpg
    20201119_161625.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 10

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi guys
Thanks for the reply I dont want spend a fortune. My mate as a 2 x 9 and he just seems to pull away .I am fit so it's not that I cant keep up am new to biking that's why I only brought a cheap bike but just want to have a little bit more
It has 2 on the front
What does he have bike wise though and what gearing? You could emulate his top and bottom gears with just 8 speeds. Is this off or on road? If on roads, different tyres may help

OP
OP
Leep

Leep

What does he have bike wise though and what gearing? You could emulate his top and bottom gears with just 8 speeds. Is this off or on road? If on roads, different tyres may help
Hi he as a 2 x 9 and I know he as the same tyres as me .its both really vickster

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My mate as a 2 x 9 and he just seems to pull away .
Trust me, it isn't the gears, or the bike, or the tyres. It's the engine that does the work.

I won't argue, it is nice to have a nice bike, but when push comes to shove, a better engine on a commuter bike with panniers and heavy puncture resistant tyres and a basic gear set will always beat the weaker rider on the lightweight all singing all dancing latest carbon flying machine.

Top Bottom