11th August Bradford charity ride - Ride le Route 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesM

I had a look but couldn't see an existing thread.

If you want to try out some of the Tour de France route but don't fancy doing all of it, Sue Ryder, in partnership with British Cycling and Sky Ride, are doing a forty something mile circular route from Bradford on August 11th.

I haven't checked the exact routes but this one goes through or near Otley, Ilkley, Skipton (As does Stage 1) and then on to Silsden, Keighley, Howarth (stage 2)

It costs £15 to register and you don't have to raise money (although I am)

For more details, check out the relevant page of the Sue Ryder website.

Kbrook

Veteran
Hi I am going to go this, does the £15 go to the charity do you know?

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

It says on the website that the route is well sign posted with feed stations. I would imagine some of the registration fee would go towards running costs.

Since it's being organised by Sue Ryder I would imagine any surplus would go to the charity.

This is all just conjecture though. I haven't seen anything on the website about it.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I emailed the address on the webpage and they said that Skyride, British Cycling and Bradford council have picked up nearly all of the costs and all of the people there on the day are there as volunteers so there is very little costs to Sue Ryder. This means almost all of your £15 will go to their work caring for local people with incurable illness.

There is still time to register. Numbers are a little down on what they were hoping for so if you're considering it, please go ahead - it's only £15, it's for charity (although you don't have to do separate fund raising), and it looks a nice little route with feed stations at Ilkley and Oxenhope with water and flap jack/bananas.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Giving it some thought. Being Norfolk type people (family in Yorkshire), it looks a bit uppy-downy but they are Cat 5s and a Cat 4 so nothing too devastating for us Broad-hopper types. Waiting on Hubby to see if he really does fancy it or if he's getting carried away with the whole 'ride a bit of the TDF course' thing.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

Do it!

If the tour route stuff isn't enough, you can still get the feel good factor of contributing to a charity that make a big difference to people at an incredibly difficult time in their lives.

I've done the first category four loads of times and it's not too bad at all. It's my warm up on my commute to work.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I've received my registration documentation today and it says you can turn up and register on the day if you fancy waiting to see what the weather's doing etc

Returned from sunny Bradford, shame it pissed it down in Ilkley :laugh:

Quite an enjoyable ride, wind and rain aside, could have done without the cobbled hill especially with all the elderly shoppers bimbling about shopping on it, ended up having to brake to avoid one old dear and then decided discretion was the better part of valor and pushed :cursing:. Missed the first feed station completely so didn't even get my monies worth (which coming from Yorkshire is maddening!!)

Anyway around 3 hours so not a particularly quick ride but in my defence I did stop at red lights (couldn't be seen breaking the law in a CC jersey:tongue:)

http://www.brytonsport.com/mapTrackView?id=3970291

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Quite an enjoyable ride, wind and rain aside, could have done without the cobbled hill especially with all the elderly shoppers bimbling about shopping on it, ended up having to brake to avoid one old dear and then decided discretion was the better part of valor and pushed :cursing:
That would be Main Street in Haworth. I walked up it on Wednesday and it was very busy with tourists then, so I wouldn't fancy trying to ride it on a Sunday!

Haworth was my first taste of Yorkshire, way back in 1979, when I came up to stay with a friend. I hitched to Leeds, caught a diesel train to Keighley and then the steam train to Haworth. I walked from the railway station up through the park and then up Main Street and couldn't believe how steep everything was compared to the relatively flat countryside where I lived in Coventry. I stayed in a flat above one of the shops at the top of Main Street. It all seems so long ago now ... :whistle:

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I loved the ride. First ride over fifteen miles in a long time. Not sure if I've ever ridden much further than that. (I know it's not a massive distance!)

I rode there and back from home so probably did 60 miles in total.

I was there quite early so let the Halfords guys give my bike a quick once over since the back wheel was rubbing a touch. They found a slightly buckled back wheel and a missing spoke!

They replaced the spoke and trued it for nothing. They even had to send a guy to the shop too pick up spokes and nipples.

I was about half an hour late setting off. Joined a group up Hollin's Hill and left them at the top to try catch a friend.

I caught my friend not long after the feed station and stayed with them the rest of the way.

Really pleased that I did it. Raised over £200 too including a couple of donations still to be added to the website.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I know! I'm not really a cyclist. Just a bloke who likes jumping on a bike. I know very little about maintenance etc. Still, you'd have thought I'd have noticed that!

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

I'm pretty sure they said they'd be going up at some point on either https://twitter.com/cycle_yorkshire or http://www.rideleroute.org.uk/ (which redirects to the Sue Ryder page which is still saying you can register on the morning)

I got the lady giving out the bags at the end to get a picture of my little group with my phone.

City Park.jpg

I'm up to £231.89 including gift aid with another £42 to go when I collect it from folk who don't have t'internet so I'm incredibly pleased with that.

Top Bottom