12-25 or 13-23 gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I currently have a 12-25 cassette on my commuter but i never use the 12 or the 25 at either end due to the amount of crap essentials i carry , should i drop to a 13-23 and have a closer range ?

This is run on a 50-34 compact , i kow you racing snakes can run 53X11 all day but im rapidly approaching mamil age...

GrasB

Veteran
I assume this is 9 speed? If so 13-23 closes up the gears a bit to much so you've got virtually no usable overlap of the chainrings, I'd go with 12-23 or 13-25 which gives you better overlap across the 2 chainrings.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I assume this is 9 speed? If so 13-23 closes up the gears a bit to much so you've got virtually no usable overlap of the chainrings, I'd go with 12-23 or 13-25 which gives you better overlap across the 2 chainrings.

8 speed .....

I will be putting a new chain on tomorrow so if the gears still work i shall keep the cassette as the wife went out for a new pushchair and came back with a maclaren , looks like another month on bread and water :ohmy:

Garz

Squat Member
I tend to find the extra lower gear would be more useful, not so much as backup, but like most have highlighted the downhill sections rarely use the 12 especially in the poor weather. Most of the time I'm spent weaving around potholes these days to keep up the speed instead of pedalling.

Top Bottom