12-28 or 12-30 Cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
I have just fitted a Tiagra 12-30 instead of 12-28 and has given more useable gears, not just the extra two teeth on the 30 cog. It has made riding the compact much easier as I am used to a triple set up.

bpsmith

Veteran
As you say guys, each to their own. Personally, I like a well spaced range of gears. As already said, there are times when I want to change up a gear but know it will be slightly to high but staying in current gear is slightly too low. I like to ride at my natural cadence and don't like to spin unnecessarily or grind unnecessarily.

It seems that I am not alone. It also seems that others don't care about this and that's cool too. :smile:

Thinking of doing something similar. Currently have a Shimano 105 11-28. Understand that I can go for a 12-30 with Shimano, but anything above will need to look elsewhere-SRAM are compatible I believe?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thinking of doing something similar. Currently have a Shimano 105 11-28. Understand that I can go for a 12-30 with Shimano, but anything above will need to look elsewhere-SRAM are compatible I believe?
I'm sure you can get 11-32 Shimano cassettes but it's the rear derailleur that may be the problem as the short cage usually stipulates maximum of 28 teeth but does seem to take a 30. You would have to fit the medium cage derailleur to accomodate the 32.

To put some flesh on the bones, I was thinking of fitting a Shimano SLX 11-36 with an SLX long cage RD.
Do you think that his is a workable combination or have you another set up that you think will be more efficient/cheaper? Having perfected the art of sloth to a high degree, I am not particularly worried about weight differences! Any words of wisdom gratefully accepted.

Top Bottom