12 speed is here, but why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
The way things are going it is likely, after many years of pretty fixed standards the manufacturers have started changing things on a regular basis to force things into obsolescence or start a new trend so they can sell more. It is good to have the variety but some is more for the sake of it rather than a real need or improvement. This is especially noticeable in mountain biking with 26" wheels being replaced by 27.5" wheels, plus sized bikes, boost hubs etc.

I agree. There is very little choice in rim brake 26" rims theses days, an if ever I need a new 1" threaded non suspension corrected CroMo fork I will struggle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I agree. There is very little choice in rim brake 26" rims theses days, an if ever I need a new 1" threaded non suspension corrected CroMo fork I will struggle.
You will also struggle to buy a new headlamp for a 1968 Hillman Imp, but I don't think that is due to a conspiracy by the manufacturers to force obsolescence.

KneesUp

Guru
You will also struggle to buy a new headlamp for a 1968 Hillman Imp, but I don't think that is due to a conspiracy by the manufacturers to force obsolescence.

I've never seen a good reason why 1 1/8" became standard. I would guess that it's because it isn't strong enough made from aluminium, but it is in steel. No idea why 1" steel got replaced.

My dad had lamps for his Minx in the garage long after the car had dissolved btw:smile:

Top Bottom