135 OLN hub into 130 OLN dropouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've recently bought a Dahon folder as I have to commute partly by train a few days a week - I quite like it, and in fact I've been using it as a general utility bike because it's now often the one that's easiest to get out of the bike shed.

I've swapped the crank from a 52t to a 44t to drop the gearing because my knees are wrecked, so I'm a spinner - with the 52t I found I was using 2nd and 3rd around town, which didn't leave many lower gears for uphill. It's good uphill now, but it spins as a consequence it spins out downhill - which is preferable because lets be honest, I'm not racing anyone on a steel folder - but ideally I'd like more range, especially as I'm now thinking that the train I get to work ultimately goes to Scotland, and how I could stay on it one weekend of and go off touring for a night or two.

So I got to looking at the Sturmey Archer RF3 (SJS link - other site are available) This is a 3 speed hub that allows you to fit an 8/9 speed cassette too - which sounds perfect, if a little heavy. However, it's 135mm OLN, and my frame, it seems, is 130mm OLN.

My question (got there in the end) is, would you say

a) It's never going to fit - just cope with 7 gears, it's only a commuting bike for goodness sake. You'll never find time for skipping off for the weekend!
b) Cold set the frame (I'm concerned that as the stays are so short because it's only got 20" wheels, the bend might be a bit severe, even though I only need 5mm) It is a steel frame btw.
c) You can just fit thinner lock nuts on the hub and it will fit the frame just fine.

Thoughts appreciated. Cheers.

Bend the frame to fit the hub.

I'd slim the hub. SJS say it can be got down to 125mm. Cold setting a steel frame is OK however if slimming the hub is so easy, why do it as it's probably a 1 way ticket.

What I'd actually do is put a double on the front and not have to do anything with the wheel. I have a Dahon Speed P8 which I'm sort of in the process of doing this to. I bought a clamp on FD hanger and reckon I can fit 2 chainwheels on the existing chainset by removing the ring guard, shifting the 52 chainwheel to that position, and fitting a smaller chainwheel in it's place. I'm hoping the RD has the capacity for that, however mine has the capability of fitting a standard RD.

https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2013/03/guide-to-upgrading-your-dahon-tern.html

I'd slim the hub. SJS say it can be got down to 125mm. Cold setting a steel frame is OK however if slimming the hub is so easy, why do it as it's probably a 1 way ticket.

What I'd actually do is put a double on the front and not have to do anything with the wheel. I have a Dahon Speed P8 which I'm sort of in the process of doing this to. I bought a clamp on FD hanger and reckon I can fit 2 chainwheels on the existing chainset by removing the ring guard, shifting the 52 chainwheel to that position, and fitting a smaller chainwheel in it's place. I'm hoping the RD has the capacity for that, however mine has the capability of fitting a standard RD.

https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2013/03/guide-to-upgrading-your-dahon-tern.html

Bend bend bend bend bend bend.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I've recently bought a Dahon folder as I have to commute partly by train a few days a week - I quite like it, and in fact I've been using it as a general utility bike because it's now often the one that's easiest to get out of the bike shed.

I've swapped the crank from a 52t to a 44t to drop the gearing because my knees are wrecked, so I'm a spinner - with the 52t I found I was using 2nd and 3rd around town, which didn't leave many lower gears for uphill. It's good uphill now, but it spins as a consequence it spins out downhill - which is preferable because lets be honest, I'm not racing anyone on a steel folder - but ideally I'd like more range, especially as I'm now thinking that the train I get to work ultimately goes to Scotland, and how I could stay on it one weekend of and go off touring for a night or two.

So I got to looking at the Sturmey Archer RF3 (SJS link - other site are available) This is a 3 speed hub that allows you to fit an 8/9 speed cassette too - which sounds perfect, if a little heavy. However, it's 135mm OLN, and my frame, it seems, is 130mm OLN.

My question (got there in the end) is, would you say

a) It's never going to fit - just cope with 7 gears, it's only a commuting bike for goodness sake. You'll never find time for skipping off for the weekend!
b) Cold set the frame (I'm concerned that as the stays are so short because it's only got 20" wheels, the bend might be a bit severe, even though I only need 5mm) It is a steel frame btw.
c) You can just fit thinner lock nuts on the hub and it will fit the frame just fine.

Thoughts appreciated. Cheers.
I cold set a 112 Brompton to take a 127mm Campag 7-speed setup, 135 from 130 shouldnt be hard on a steel frame

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
It'll be easiest to re space the OLD to 130mm (just remove one of the non drive side silver locknuts).
Then have the wheel built.

That way if you don't like it you can easily swop back to the original wheel.

Top Bottom