14 weeks to go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philtofit

Not been on the forum or cycling any decent miles for 4 years and gained a lot of weight. I put on almost 4 stone up to 20 stone since loosing my son 7 months ago. It been s**t, and I needed a challenge to get myself going. I did two 60 mile events 5 years ago when I was 59. I'm 4 weeks in and lost a stone but still can't get back into my cycling gear. I'm using a fluid turbo but now looking at a smart one, looking at Wahoo Kickr Snap to assist in training and lose weight; before doing the miles on the road.

I have told too many people about the 60 mile ride, some have said they will also do it, so can't pull out now. So any advise would be helpful.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Philtofit do what i do ride in normal clothes .

OK the weather has been a bit horrid for outdoor cycling but just take the plunge and do some road work , its miles better than turbo work anyday

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm sorry to hear about your son, Phil. It is hardly surprising that cycling and weight control took a big hit.

Well done for deciding to tackle the problem. You have made a very good start.

14 weeks is plenty of time to achieve your goal if you keep working at it. You should be able to get another couple of stone off in that time, and a total of 3+ stone will make a huge difference on any hills that you have to tackle.

If you can motivate yourself to do enough riding on the turbo then that will do a lot for your fitness, but as Biggsy says - you could always ride outdoors in non-cycling kit. You could get some short liners (or some very baggy cheapo bibshorts) to give you some padding and then just wear some jogging bottoms over them.

Why not ask around and see if you can find some locals to do a decent ride with at least once a week? Even if you do most of the work on the turbo, it would be good for your motivation and sense of well-being to get out in company from time to time.

Good luck!

Top Bottom