14YO to begin with road racing - where to find coach/school?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emmy

I'm looking for any additional activity for my son, he very like to ride a bike, so I thought about road bicycle racing. I read about this discipline in the Internet, and I found a very good website, but for this sport, I didn't find any schools. :sad: Maybe do you know similar site, which have any information about schools, trainers and opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would get him joined up at a local club. There will be a few in Hampshire, so it might be best to see which ones are race orientated as they are likely to help nurture him in racing. Most have webpages and will state if they are active in racing. You will probably find that there are few Hampshire based club members on here. Also check the British Cycling website for advice.

Bilbosdad

Lots on the South Coast, not so much at the North end of Hampshire, Joining a club is the answer, do a club search on the British Cycling Website. If you are in the NE corner of Hampshire, then www.sprockets.club is just over into Berkshire.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A local club, particularly one which has other kid's racing helps massively. Go-race sessions are also good.

e-rider

crappy member
you will find many 14 year-olds have been riding for a while and will be surprisingly fast - however, don't let that put your kid off - in 6 months he'll possibly catch them up

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hope you've got deep pockets! I've always supported my cycling son and bought him decent bikes and bits for his bikes because cycling is the only exercise he takes and the only thing we do together. He absolutely loves cycling.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Has he ever ridden in a group ride before? You need to start in groups to get some handling skills so contact the local clubs.

For racing you need a decent road bike, nothing crazy but you also need to be able to deal with it getting broken when/if they come off.

The velodrome is a great idea.

Top Bottom