150 miles for Ghost Fishing-UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Some of you may know that in addition to cycling, I am also an avid scuba diver. I am also a member of the Ghost Fishing-UK dive team.

In July, I am cycling the full route (75 miles) of the Great Weston Ride, plus finding an additional 75 miles to tack onto it, for a total of 150 miles. My goal is to raise £1000 to benefit Ghost Fishing UK's efforts.

Ghost Fishing-UK is a team of volunteer divers who survey and recover ghost fishing gear (fishing gear that has been lost, dumped, or abandoned) in UK waters. Ghost fishing gear continues to fish, trapping and killing marine life.

Our mission is:
- To highlight the problem of discarded or lost fishing gear in the sea and other aquatic environments.
- To remove ghost fishing gear from the environment in a safe and legal manner.
- To recycle recovered equipment in the most efficient way possible.

We are self-funded divers. Any monies raised will go towards our costs, including charters to retrieve ghost gear, licensing, equipment, and storage and transport of retrieved gear for recycling.

All of the recovered ghost fishing nets are shipped off to either Slovenia or Denmark for cleaning and recycling, and turned into nylon for swimwear, socks, carpets, etc. On one our recovery trips last year, over 80% of retrieved net was recycled and turned into nylon for Milliken Carpets.

More information on what we do/have done can be found here:
Ghost Fishing-UK
Ghost Fishing-UK Facebook
Ghost Fishing Global

So please donate if you can.

https://www.gofundme.com/ghost-fishing-uk

Top Bottom