16 Year Old Teenagers Demonised by the Government?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
She can drink but not buy alcohol. What kind of daft message is that sending?

Quite, and I agree with you. I listened to a Mum at the school gate say she had dropped her teenager off at a sleepover with 2 litres of cider and then whinge about what a nightmare she was. I blame the parents really I do.

When that law was passed* it may have been fashionable for parliament to emulate the Continent’s smooth and sophisticated ways and teach some tolerance of alcohol to our youth. That one has worked really well. Keep on bingeing Britain.

*Complete rhetorical theory on my part of which I accept full responsibility. But broadly speaking, this is the law: “16 year olds can drink beer or cider with a meal in a pub or hotel (but can't be the person buying it)”

Fill your spittoons with that one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They won't let the snowflakes vote till they're18,so what's wrong with that?

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm all for 16 year olds having the vote. My experience of young people (through my work, family connections and friends) is that they have a lot to contribute. They are ready to accept responsibility and behave better for being treated as responsible citizens. Yes, there are some immature ones and some wrong uns but aren't there examples of those at all ages.

By the way, I find the term snowflake pejorative - mostly used by patronising old people who have benefited from growing up in a postwar era where economic growth is taken for granted. My suggestion? Place trust in people and we will not be disappointed.

FWIW, the only group of people who are likely to be against votes for 16 year olds are the Tories........because there's quite a lot of evidence that the 16 year olds will vote Labour.

My guess is that you earn respect very easily. What a breath of fresh air. :okay:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
To imply that all leave voters are narrow-minded and racist is as bad as saying all youngsters are obsessed with Facebook and have no idea about national or international affairs.

I am not implying that leave voters are narrow minded although it has to be said the ones I have encountered thus far in conversation seem to have not considered various things like the border with NI and so on. They seem to have put an X in the leave box purely because of immigration. Is not considering the full implications of Brexit being narrow minded?.

I also did not say they are racist. However, given the rantings of our right wing press, typically the Mail & Express and those whom agree with it, maybe some leave voters are.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think it best to bring this one to a close in the Cafe.

For those who want to continue to discuss this subject, there is already a thread here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/16-year-olds-and-the-vote.230015/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom