17 mile commute (34 round trip)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I started I did one Friday only, then the second Friday only the follwijg week, and then went straight into it 4 days a week, for the third week, and since then done it every day. 17 miles each way, the body soon gets adjusted.

I don't eat before in the morning at all, just one cup of coffee, and then its off.

It does get easier, I sleep very well all the time ! but I have now been doing it for 11 months, and you can see my weight loss, and its now got to the point where I have got rid of a car and I look forward to going home from work, like a kid waiting for xmas day.

Some days you feel brilliant and the legs feel like they are turbo charged, but other days they feel like lead, but its just part of the cycling to work thing. Give it a few more weeks, and you will look back like I do now and think why did I not do this 10 years ago.

After 6,000 miles since last June is my biggest regret, that I did not do this sooner :thumbsup:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Started a year ago with 11mile each way for 3 months everyday...then 15 &1/2 everyday after that. I have to admit I am shattered by the end of the week. But that is my own fault as I have psychological disorder that seems to prevent me riding my bike at any speed other than flat out...

OP
OP
Scruffmonster

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Again, cheers for the encouragement everyone.

To make a bunch of you feel better... I'm 28 and it's killing me. The idea of anyone starting this at any age from 29 onwards seems heroic to me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Started Cycling again 4 years ago aged 40 after a 16 year break. Started off with a mile and a half commute to the local station which near killed me. Soon built up my fitness and started a 5 mile each way commute. Another year later decided to bite the bullet and cycle all the way to work, a 25 mile round trip. Now aged 44 I do on average 180 commute miles a week. Anything between 30 & 40 miles a day. Plus anything between 40 to 100+ miles at a weekend.

Top Bottom