170mm Hollow Rear Axle Spindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NealM

Hi All

I have an old BSO, that I want to convert to a QR skewer on the rear axle so that I can use it on my newly acquired turbo trainer. .

However the rear axle seems to be very wide.. I've measured the old solid rear axle spindle and it's 170mm wide. . I therefore presume I need the replacement HOLLOW rear axle spindle, (to allow fitment of the QR skewer); to also be 170mm...

I can't find anywhere that sells such an item . . . Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Many thanks

hoski

Veteran
Hi All

I have an old BSO, that I want to convert to a QR skewer on the rear axle so that I can use it on my newly acquired turbo trainer. .

However the rear axle seems to be very wide.. I've measured the old solid rear axle spindle and it's 170mm wide. . I therefore presume I need the replacement HOLLOW rear axle spindle, (to allow fitment of the QR skewer); to also be 170mm...

I can't find anywhere that sells such an item . . . Can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Many thanks
You won't want the axle to protrude outside of the dropouts with a hollow/QR axle... so you don't want it to be the same length as the old solid one.

What is the distance between the rear dropouts? 130mm or 135mm?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
As hoski said, you need to measure the distance between the dropouts. You then add 10mm or 11mm to arrive at the right length for a hollow qr axle.

I would advice you ensure the existing axle is threaded and the hub has cup and cone bearings. Measure the thread size carefully so that you can buy the replacement accordingly - while there are exceptions there are 3 key thread standards for rear axles: M10 x 26tpi (usually Italian) or 3/8"(9.5mm) x 26tpi (usually Chinese) or M10 x 1mm (most Japanese). Hollow threaded axles are available for all these in various common lengths. If you don't get a replacement with the same thread standard you might not be able to reuse the existing cones, seals, spacers and dustcaps, and you could end up with a hell of a job finding new ones that fit well with the existing hub shell.

OP
OP
NealM

NealM

Many thanks for the replies folks. .

I'll measure the distance between the dropouts and see what that is . . Hopefully it will work out to be somewhere close to one of the "Standard" lengths of hollow spindles that are available ..

@Sharky Thanks for the link, although as you say they seem very expensive..

Top Bottom