18650 batteries . . . better than AAA's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I have 2 cree Q5 torch style lights that ive been pretty happy with. I only need "be seen" lights rather than see with lights.

Ive been pondering if 18650 batteries will perform better that the AAA's ive been using. The AAA's are just normal ones and not rechargeable.

My whilst riding im finding that the Q5's are changing modes or turning off by themselves and am thinking that If i change to 18650's I could wrap a layer of electrical tape around them to make them a tighter fit in the barrel.. good idea or not?

I was thinking the same but in the end I've just bought AAA rechargeable, sure I have to change the batteries mid week to keep them on 'top' performance but its a 2 minute job.

I got these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREME-4...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item518be5eb8a

£4 for 4, think I have 24 now^_^

Davidc

Guru
18650 will last longer. The nominal voltage is near enough the same for 3 x AAA and 1 x 18650.

Typical AAA capacity is 1 AH (=1000 mAH)
Typical 18650 capacity is 3.5 AH.

The AAAs are in series so the capacity of 3 together will also be 1AH. That means the 18650 will last 3.5 times as long.

The discharge characteristics are a little different but that won't make a lot of difference. The figures are for rechargeables. I haven't seen any figures for alkaline AAAs for a few years and I suspect that they have got better recently.

Hope that helps.

musa

Über Member
Go with 18650 and a charger. I did and it works wonders. Now not to say don't use aaa but buy good quality ones. The cheaper one ie 99p store don't last long.

If you decide to buy some I can give you recommendation on What I bought

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I bought some Torchy 18650s from Torchy on ebay ... seller name is big_f_d_d - and they have been much better than the dodgy unprotected Ultrafire ones which came with my torch.

Herr-B

I second buying from Torchy's ebay site. He only sells what he likes (that's what he likes, not what he likes). I have two front lights / torches from him with 18650 batteries and charger (and AAA adaptor), fully charged in just a few hours where my six AAA batteries would need to be charged for about 8 hours, and I can only charge four at a time!

Jon2

I had a pair of Q5 torches which liked to change mode on their own. When ever the circuit is broken and no current is flowing, the mode changes. I found that wrapping the batteries with tape didn't help, it was the battery moving up and down in the tube causing the problem. I fixed this with a small ball of tin foil squashed down. This made them fit much tighter. You have to be careful that the tin foil doesn't touch the sides of the torch. The circuit runs from the end of the battery, into the switch tail cap then back down the tube, allowing the tin foil to touch the side completes the circuit and the switch has no effect.

gbb

Legendary Member
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, I've never seen the lights and how the batteies are attached...but..
AAA batteries are small and 1.5 v. 16850 batteries are considerably larger and 3.7 v...not 1.5. How's that going to work?

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
I had a pair of Q5 torches which liked to change mode on their own. When ever the circuit is broken and no current is flowing, the mode changes. I found that wrapping the batteries with tape didn't help, it was the battery moving up and down in the tube causing the problem. I fixed this with a small ball of tin foil squashed down. This made them fit much tighter. You have to be careful that the tin foil doesn't touch the sides of the torch. The circuit runs from the end of the battery, into the switch tail cap then back down the tube, allowing the tin foil to touch the side completes the circuit and the switch has no effect.

Any chance of a picture of what you've done with the foil?
Im trying to picture it in my head but am being a bit dense today..

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, I've never seen the lights and how the batteies are attached...but..
AAA batteries are small and 1.5 v. 16850 batteries are considerably larger and 3.7 v...not 1.5. How's that going to work?

The Q5's come with an extra section of barrel that make the torch longer to accommodate the 18650 if you need too.

goodstevess

yeah, that right,18650 will last longer. The nominal voltage is near enough the same for 3 x AAA and 1 x 18650.Typical AAA capacity is 1 AH (=1000 mAH) / Typical 18650 capacity is 3.5 AH.
188.jpg

Jon2

Any chance of a picture of what you've done with the foil?
Haven't got a picture, but I'll explain it a bit better. The batteries are held by a spring at both ends of the torch, but the springs aren't strong enough. I put some tin foil on one end of the battery to make it longer so that it compresses the springs completely when you screw the end cap on and it can't move at all. Just get some foil, scrunch it up, and put it on top of the battery then screw on the end cap.

Schooner

18650 will last longer. The nominal voltage is near enough the same for 3 x AAA and 1 x 18650.

Typical AAA capacity is 1 AH (=1000 mAH)
Typical 18650 capacity is 3.5 AH.

The AAAs are in series so the capacity of 3 together will also be 1AH. That means the 18650 will last 3.5 times as long.

The discharge characteristics are a little different but that won't make a lot of difference. The figures are for rechargeables. I haven't seen any figures for alkaline AAAs for a few years and I suspect that they have got better recently.

Hope that helps.

As I understand, the total capacity is the sum of the cells in series so if the AAAs have 1000mAh each then using three will give 3000mAh (3Ah).
As David says though, all cells have different capacities so you should make your decision based on the actual cells you are comparing. Beyond the capacity you may also want to consider how often you ill be re-charging in relation to the expected life of the cells (number of re-charges before cells need replaced).
Personally I run 18650's as I am lazy and changing one battery is quicker than 3!

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru

Stonepark

Über Member
As I understand, the total capacity is the sum of the cells in series so if the AAAs have 1000mAh each then using three will give 3000mAh (3Ah).

Nope running batteries in series gives you a voltage multiplication, but capacity is not multiplied. ie. 3 x 1.2v = 3.6v, but capacity is still 1000mah

If you want to increase capacity by multiplication, you run batteries in parallel and then the voltage remains at original, i.e. voltage is 1.2v but capacity is 3000mah.

Top Bottom