19 year old jailed for killing cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its a start.

Apparently she iddn't see the other time trialist she passed very closely either, so one less bad diver on the roads for a short time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
21 months for killing someone... not long is it. How could you not see a cyclist. Unless you were not paying attention.
Has her license been taken away? I bloody hope so.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It is not long and I was thinking that 18 months would be the most one could hope to see, so the sentence seems OK. That said, given the absence of malice in the case i.e. she was no more than woefully, stupidly negligent, I would have thought that three years should have been the maximum.

I'd hope to see her licence taken away and a re-test applied, preferably a tougher one but I've no idea if she even loses her licence for this.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bad Company said:
I thought the sentance was a bit harsh. This was a dual carriageway with a 70 mph limit. Not a great place for a time trial.
just like most of the time trials around here.

all the more reason, I'd have thought, that if you are driving, to keep your eyes peeled, your wits about you, and to get your car out into the outside lane and give each and all the cyclists, exercising their entirely lawful right to ride on said dual carriageway, a very wide berth.

wafflycat

The stats for injuries/deaths on TTs show that dual carriageways are actually safer than single carriageways. The reality is that on a dual carriageway, the traffic has a complete lane it can pull out into when overtaking you. The main danger points on a dual carriageway are the sliproads. I know that 'common sense' would dictate that duals are bad, but the reality is the opposite (The CTT keep accident stats which are published annually)

GrasB

Veteran
Bad Company said:
I thought the sentance was a bit harsh. This was a dual carriageway with a 70 mph limit. Not a great place for a time trial.
She'd passed very close to another cyclist before she hit this man & also to say that she didn't see him & the first thing she knew about his presence was him impacting the car. She blatantly wasn't paying proper attention to the road at high speed, this led to the tragic & unfortunate death of a cyclist. IMHO the sentence wasn't harsh.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I would have thought at least a five year ban in addition to the prison time would have been sensible. Mind you, I would bet that her insurance premiums rocket so high that she could be effectively banned for a few years. Does anybody know what happens to the premiums in cases like this?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Andy in Sig said:
I would have thought at least a five year ban in addition to the prison time would have been sensible. Mind you, I would bet that her insurance premiums rocket so high that she could be effectively banned for a few years. Does anybody know what happens to the premiums in cases like this?

they go through the roof and many household name insurers won't touch her. but we don't have a properly vigilant system to prevent uninsured, banned/unlicensed, drivers taking to the roads in their unroadworthy cars.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
GrasB said:
She'd passed very close to another cyclist before she hit this man & also to say that she didn't see him & the first thing she knew about his presence was him impacting the car. She blatantly wasn't paying proper attention to the road at high speed, this led to the tragic & unfortunate death of a cyclist. IMHO the sentence wasn't harsh.

I'm not saying that she should not have been penalised. I just don't see the point of sending somebody like her to jail.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/jail-for-motorist-who-killed-cyclist-rhys-evans-25132

Yesterday she attended Huntingdon Crown Court for sentencing and was given 21 months in jail, of which she will serve half. The care assistant was also handed a two-year driving ban.

so less than a year in jail for killing someone? And the driving ban runs at the same time she is in jail, so it's only a 14 month driving ban? if she served full time only a 3month driving ban.

Makes me feel sick that true justice isn't given.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
gaz said:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/jail-for-motorist-who-killed-cyclist-rhys-evans-25132

so less than a year in jail for killing someone? And the driving ban runs at the same time she is in jail, so it's only a 14 month driving ban? if she served full time only a 3month driving ban.

Makes me feel sick that true justice isn't given.

But what is true justice, she's not a violent criminal nor at risk of being a danger to others, is prison the best option? Liberty can be curtailed via electronic tagging and the person employed in seving the community, maybe via a charity.

Maybe two years assisting with grief counselling and an order to travel everywhere by bicycle might have been more fitting. If someone truly regrets an action then they'll punish themselves far more than anything we can do. If they don't then the dehumanising prison system is more likely to make them worse.

Top Bottom