1900's mtbs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To get my thread back on track:

I've always wondered if they ever did any mtb-type offroad bicycle racing back then, or if even the bikes made back then could withstand the roughness of offroad racing? I've read of bikes "taco-ing" due to hitting city street pot holes in 1895 and these were then top of the line bikes.
I think a lot of the roads in those days were dirt tracks .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any bike can be bent if you ride it in a sufficiently careless manner. None of them have ever been indestructible. The poorly designed and badly constructed bikes will have quickly failed in the early years of cycling and been weeded out of the bike pool, leaving the more robust ones to survive. There was no doubt a proportion of gung-ho reckless riders back in the 1890s - just as there are today.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd say a lot of rigid MTB's actually have more in common with everyday utility 3 speeds than vintage racing bikes. Many of them are essentially derailleur geared 26" roadsters in execution, with similar slack geometry and long wheelbases but usually a beefed-up frame.

It's how they started in the US. There are some great films about the start of MTB's. Clunkers is one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've always wondered if they ever did any mtb-type offroad bicycle racing back then, or if even the bikes made back then could withstand the roughness of offroad racing? I've read of bikes "taco-ing" due to hitting city street pot holes in 1895 and these were then top of the line bikes.

Folk used to race what ever they had, so yes might be the answer - it was the 1980's when groups started pushing the boundaries of what could be done off road, and that's when things started evolving.

Drago

Legendary Member
Isn't the whole point of being a road cyclist is the default pass on shaving your legs West Hollywood style and having at least a half-way plausible reason in doing so?

It's a cliche. It's untrue. It was not funny. From re-reading you original post and again assessing its tone I do not believe you were joking.

The whole point of cycling is that it's a broad, inclusive church. If you want to mock people, even if only in jest, then your brothers and sisters in this most wonderful of pastimes should not be your subject matter. We get enough grief from motorists, the Daily Mail readership, and the public at large, without you taking pops at your own team.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

The French cyclocross championship dates back to 1902.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Isn't the whole point of being a road cyclist is the default pass on shaving your legs West Hollywood style and having at least a half-way plausible reason in doing so?

When your covered in dirt/mud nobody gives a sh$# about how smooth and pretty your skinny girly legs look.

No-one on this forum needs any 'pass' to justify whether they choose to shave or not shave their legs, whether related to cycling or not.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Back in the 70's we used to rider tracker bikes down the woods. Based on road frames, straight fork up front, single speed , small front cog, cow horns and knobblies. Around 95 my brother visited with his old tracker bike, I had my first rim brake based rigid mtn bike. The tracker bike was significantly lighter than my mtn bike and just as capable off road. Luckily I was much fitter at the time than my brother

screenman

Legendary Member
Isn't the whole point of being a road cyclist is the default pass on shaving your legs West Hollywood style and having at least a half-way plausible reason in doing so? < Said in jest so don't get your see thru pink spandex/lycra micro short in a knot over it. It just looks so vain its hard not to draw some pretty bad assumptions when you see it.

More reason why I love mtb'ing. When your covered in dirt/mud nobody gives a sh$# about how smooth and pretty your skinny girly legs look.

So in truth you have no idea why cyclist shave their legs, even more so for a proper off road rider.

DRM

Guru
As a child through the 70’s we used to ride old straight handlebar bikes, probably dating from the 1950’s/60’s which now would probably be prime restoration projects, but back then it saved battering your nice racer to death, I reckon it’s been this way forever, the predecessor to mtb, we learned how to handle a bike on & off road the hard way, damn good inexpensive fun

DRM

Guru
Isn't the whole point of being a road cyclist is the default pass on shaving your legs West Hollywood style and having at least a half-way plausible reason in doing so? < Said in jest so don't get your see thru pink spandex/lycra micro short in a knot over it. It just looks so vain its hard not to draw some pretty bad assumptions when you see it.

More reason why I love mtb'ing. When your covered in dirt/mud nobody gives a sh$# about how smooth and pretty your skinny girly legs look.
I think you’re falling for the hype, mtb v roadies, you’re forgetting one important thing, both use a piece of equipment consisting of a frameset, handlebars , wheels, gears (sometimes) and a saddle that gets its user out in the fresh air, there’s no them & us, some people, god forbid do both types of riding! It’s just a bike, enjoy it.

Top Bottom