1940's oil lamp recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I'm looking for a period front oil lamp and rear if possible for my 40s BSA pictured in my avatar. Any thoughts appreciated as to what style lamp and maker would suit the bike and if it would have had a rear lamp at all. I believe it to be a black out model BSA.
DSCF0125_zps949dc655.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Wouldn't a period Every Ready lamp from the period be a little more appropriate?

OP
OP
flippin3speeds

flippin3speeds

Regular
Yes, now I've looked at the ever ready lamp I think it would be. I've been doing some research these two days at the cycle museum archives. Do you know if battery lamps from the 30s/40s can be wired up to modern batteries and bulbs ok? If so I'll try to source one. I still don't know a great deal about vintage roadsters and their components and typical after market accessories of their time, so I immediately assumed the cycle would have an oil lamp as it looks like a black out model.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Yes, now I've looked at the ever ready lamp I think it would be. I've been doing some research these two days at the cycle museum archives. Do you know if battery lamps from the 30s/40s can be wired up to modern batteries and bulbs ok? If so I'll try to source one. I still don't know a great deal about vintage roadsters and their components and typical after market accessories of their time, so I immediately assumed the cycle would have an oil lamp as it looks like a black out model.

You can, well could, get an insert for the lamps so two 'C' sized cells (Old SP/HP11s) would fit. I have one of these on period Ever Ready rear lamp on my 58 Constellation. They can be made up from parts, I think even some old form of battery holder can be used with the correct wiring. Its a shame the old 800 batteries are no longer around.

This may help...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/catfoodrob/choppers/mechanic/pifcolamp.html

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This may be absolutely no help to you at all, but my late father used to talk about using carbide lamps on his bike when he was a lad, which would have been the '40s. Just that this may be another option as well as oil and battery lamps.

sidevalve

Über Member
Check out one of the old type ex army stores [they are out there still] as often very suitable lamps can be found there.

OP
OP
flippin3speeds

flippin3speeds

Regular
Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your helpful replies and links, which I have saved. I've ascertained since that the bike is a 30s/40s BSA "All-Black" model and they were offered in the catalogue at the time with an optional Lucas dynamo set. I think this bike deserves something special though, so I'm looking into vintage carbide lamps as suggested by Dogtrousers, failing that, an ever ready battery lamp. I have a miller dynamo on another bike and I know it wouldn't suit the look.

Top Bottom