1947 Raleigh restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm currently restoring a 1947 Raleigh bicycle.
As the bike is complete I do not intend to replace any parts as I prefer to get rid of the rust and keep the pitted/aged look on the rims and brake handles.
I am going to respray the frame and forks but would love to find pictures of original bikes to get the colour correct. Also can the Decal's still be purchased? Any help here will be appreciated.
Does anyone know what lights were provided by Raleigh? My front wheel Dynohub was disconnected and a Miller Tyre Dynamo and lights were fitted.
If anyone has any thoughts on my project I would love to hear them, also if anyone would be interested in seeing how this project unfolds I would happily share my thoughts and pictures along the way.
The bike is being restored with the view to sell on to a loving home/collector so any other tips would be appreciated.

*edit - The bike was last ridden in 1952 by the original owner (confirmed) making me the 2nd owner. I have provenance of this bicycle which in this day and age is rare. If your interested then just ask.

Thanks
Matt

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Matt and :welcome:

I don't know about the other stuff, but decals are available from H Lloyd Cycles. They seem to have a huge range for Raleigh so hopefully you'll find the ones you need.:thumbsup:

Oh, and pics/progress would be of interest.:smile:

OP
OP
M

MattCook

Regular
Thanks Phil for the H Lloyd Cycle link, am searching their catalogue for the correct decals.
Biggs - I really don't want to lose any originality as this bike will be beautiful, once restored, even with the old rust and weather marks on the chrome. The pedals and grips are original and worn and I'm also considering keeping all of the minor dents in the mud guards to show that it was well loved when used in the late 40's and early 50's around Lincolnshire.
Pictures will be added as soon as I can find somewhere online to post them. Can I not upload straight here?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Pictures will be added as soon as I can find somewhere online to post them. Can I not upload straight here?
You can upload them on to here but you need a certain number of posts first (it's an anti spam measure) then a button marked "upload a file" will appear between the "post reply" and "more options" ones.

tyred

Legendary Member
With regards the lights, your existing tail lamp will work fine, assuming it is correct period. The headlight will work fine too if it has a switch. The originals would have been like the ones pictured in this article

The vast majority of cycle dynamos over the years put out 3 Watts. Unfortunately, for the Sturmey Dynohub, this will be around 1.8 - 2 Watt so it will never give a very bright light. The correct bulbs will be 6V x 0.25A MES front and 6V x 0.04A MES rear but these may be tricky to find.

Bulbs for other dynamo systems will be 6v x 0.4A front and 6V x 0.1A rear. These are easy to fond as such lights are still in production and will work too but the headlight will never reach full brightness.

OP
OP
M

MattCook

Regular
Tyred - Thanks so much for the link. I have a GH6 and the servicing information will be invaluable. My lights on the other hand do look different :sad:

Here's a pic of the bike as it was when I collected it. Now it is in component pieces in various stages of cleaning and de-rusting.
Raleigh bike original pic 2.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Tyred - Thanks so much for the link. I have a GH6 and the servicing information will be invaluable. My lights on the other hand do look different :sad:

Here's a pic of the bike as it was when I collected it. Now it is in component pieces in various stages of cleaning and de-rusting. View attachment 26593

Woohoo! Rod brakes!! I remember them from my very first bike, circa 1960, and very second-hand even then. Hope the blocks are still in usable condition, as I imagine they could be hard to find.

sidevalve

Über Member
Check out E bay for rod brake blocks etc. You can often find them sold as new/ old stock. But there should be plenty of sources around as this type of brake is still extensively used in India and the far east.

OP
OP
M

MattCook

Regular
Thanks Sidevalve but I'm keeping he original brake rods as I think it adds to the character of the bike. I do not want it to look brand new as I prefer the well loved, well ridden look.
So the rust pitted chrome will stay - without the rust of course.

Bobtoo

Über Member
Do you really need to respray the frame? It'll look a bit odd with the patina on everything else.

OP
OP
M

MattCook

Regular
Unfortunately yes. The rust on the frame was quite bad and the decals were not really there anymore. If the frame wasn't resprayed then I would have patches of rust/bare metal/touched up frame and original paint which is dull and worn.

Anyway all parts are now just about stripped, with the exception of a mudguard and forks.

On another note if anyone knows where I can get a sturmey archer GC3 gear changer from I'd be happy. There is one on ebay at the moment but I don't want to be paying nearly £200 for it. It seems my 'original' one was swapped in the 70's hmm not happy.

Top Bottom