1950s carlton frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I am just about to start restoring a old Carlton racing frame. It is built with 531 Reynolds tubing. It was originally my dads when he was in his teens so think its late 1950s. It was renovated in the early 1980s and was my road bike till mountain bikes bit in the early 1990s. I do not which model it was as dad has passed away sadly . the frame number is d8239 and this is stamped on the nearside rear dropout . I have attached some pics. Any idea which model it is ?? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140723_163921.jpg
    IMG_20140723_163921.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_20140723_163941.jpg
    IMG_20140723_163941.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_20140723_164241.jpg
    IMG_20140723_164241.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_20140723_164228.jpg
    IMG_20140723_164228.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 351

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:There is a lot of dating info on T'internet on classic cycles and Carlton cycles get Googling.
Nice looking model though with lovely lugs and looks like your Dad did a good job on the up-date/restoration although I would suspect that there is a frame No under the bottom bracket obscured by the cable guide.
There are quite a few Carlton fans/owners on here mine being a 68 or so Clubman that I 'did up' in the 80s with 105 running gear and new 27 inch wheels ( it wasn't known as 'restoration' then)

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The frame probably dates from around 1957/8. Would not be able to tell you the model, the decals are obviously from c1979/80. This would have been built when the company was still a private family concern. Not sure about the BB lugs they could be Oscar Egg or Nervex (check BB shell). I would need to look around at other images for the main lugs name. Still a fine frame.

OP
OP
C

Carlton Dave

Regular
The frame probably dates from around 1957/8. Would not be able to tell you the model, the decals are obviously from c1979/80. This would have been built when the company was still a private family concern. Not sure about the BB lugs they could be Oscar Egg or Nervex (check BB shell). I would need to look around at other images for the main lugs name. Still a fine frame.
Hi Spokesmann, the stickers on the frame now realte to when it was resprayed in the early 80s. I was about 12 years old and it was my pride and joy. My dad sadly died last year and my intention is to renovate it to when i had it (ie Shimano 600 kit) but get the frame redone to 50s colours. I will have a look at the BB and see if there is a number there, i had a quick look the other day and could nt see it. I am hoping to take the frame to a guy called Dave Marsh who apparently is an excellent renovator, but i was hoping to get the right stickers and frame colour done. I will take some more pics of the lugs, the rear dropouts say "Buy Simplex" on them if that helps......Thanks for your help, it is appreciated as this frame does have a sentimental value to me!!!!

OP
OP
C

Carlton Dave

Regular
:welcome:There is a lot of dating info on T'internet on classic cycles and Carlton cycles get Googling.
Nice looking model though with lovely lugs and looks like your Dad did a good job on the up-date/restoration although I would suspect that there is a frame No under the bottom bracket obscured by the cable guide.
There are quite a few Carlton fans/owners on here mine being a 68 or so Clubman that I 'did up' in the 80s with 105 running gear and new 27 inch wheels ( it wasn't known as 'restoration' then)
Hi thanks for reply. I intend to renovate to when i had it aged 12 years old!!! It still has most of the Shimano 600 kit and im on a n ebay frenzy. It currently has 700c wheels and long centre pull brakes, but i want to get the remaining 600 series kit im just not sure whether they will reach the wheels tho!! Thanks again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi thanks for reply. I intend to renovate to when i had it aged 12 years old!!! It still has most of the Shimano 600 kit and im on a n ebay frenzy. It currently has 700c wheels and long centre pull brakes, but i want to get the remaining 600 series kit im just not sure whether they will reach the wheels tho!! Thanks again.
I'm pretty sure you can still get 27inch alloy rims to lace up to hubs but tyre choice is then very restricted. It would originally have had Weinmann or similar brakes on it at that age so they are period, Shimano (even the Golden Arrow/600) were far later as are any square taper cranks unless Campagnolo made them in the late 50s.

OP
OP
C

Carlton Dave

Regular
Guys I have taken a couple more images. There isn't a number written on the bb that I can see. There is a small nut on the top of it though I presume this was for greasing ? K do remember that prior to it being renovated in the early 80s it had campagnolo chainset cotter pinned of course with 5 speed . this was really heavy and a bit rusty so got binned as considered old hat back then. The headset is the original one not been greased for 30 years. Thanks again for your help. Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20140730_221554.jpg
    IMG_20140730_221554.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20140730_221443.jpg
    IMG_20140730_221443.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20140730_221408.jpg
    IMG_20140730_221408.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20140730_221437.jpg
    IMG_20140730_221437.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20140730_221310.jpg
    IMG_20140730_221310.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 147

Spokesmann

The lugs on this are nice, defiantly 1950s as I have seen them on other framesets from the period. Its a shame to think all these were replaced, bar a few by Capella lugs in 1959. One thing I can say for sure its not a jewel or International.

OP
OP
C

Carlton Dave

Regular
:sun:Hi spokesmann I've had a look at a 1958 Carlton brochure and wonder if its a Franco Italia model ?? I'm basing this on the position of the pump stays on the back if the seat pillar but this might be common on all models . with the frame number being d8239 I need to locate a site that gives the year of frame number manufacture is there one you would suggest please ?? Thanks again sorry I'm being a pain ^_^^_^^_^

midlife

Guru
Hi

From memory the number is from 1957..........the problem you have is at that time Carlton would modify the frame from the catalogue spec at your request, if you wanted certain braze ons or Lindrick lugs then that's what you would get :smile:

Things changed in 1960 when Raleigh took over but Carlton carried on in their own way until 1972 when Raleigh put their foot down and Raleigh numbering took over.

Looks Like a Catalina but as I said they would change it as requested.

All in all a cracking frame from the 50's, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet :biggrin:

Shaun

Spokesmann

:sun:Hi spokesmann I've had a look at a 1958 Carlton brochure and wonder if its a Franco Italia model ?? I'm basing this on the position of the pump stays on the back if the seat pillar but this might be common on all models . with the frame number being d8239 I need to locate a site that gives the year of frame number manufacture is there one you would suggest please ?? Thanks again sorry I'm being a pain ^_^^_^^_^
You could well be right on the model. Sadly Jerry Mortimore's site, which had all sorts of very useful info is down. Im told Dave Marsh of Universal Cycles now has this, as to when this information will appear again is anyone guess.

Top Bottom