1950's Harry Hall fixed speed tourer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
An aside: in 1986 I was earning about £80/week.

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Many thanks, I don't want to read too much of that website though as I still recall earning about £18.00 per week in 1980 on a YTS scheme when I left school and it still hurts!

Right, onto matters H. Hall Esq:
I gave it a decent ride out today as promised. I reckon about 16-17 miles all in and I was surprised by how nice it was. Obvioulsy it feels it's age but it's actually pretty light and on a flat it goes along quite well. I was doing some half decent speeds (estimate about 18-20mph) for a bit and it's then when I really started missing gearing as I was gaining on a couple of lads on fancy new race bikes but just couldn't catch them when they upped the ante a bit!
The crank feels slightly sort of 'un-oiled' or out of kilter, but not really enough to worry about to be honest. The back tyre looks ancient, the front a bit newer but not perfect but they both held up fine, it rode in a straight line and attracted quite a bit of interest. The one and only brake was, erm, 'entertaining' I think we'll call it, but it did just about slow it down. Also as I didn't buy the bike for balls out racing and fast roads then for now I can live with it.
So, a very entertaining and involving ride, the perfect compliment to my Trek mountain bike and Giant road bike.
Have a couple of 'this proves my bike was here but I could have cheated and taken it in the car for all you know' picture to celebrate todays great achievement of old man riding old bike to see old cars!
DSCF0614.jpg

DSCF0613.jpg

I broke a strap on my lovely saddle bag* though, I think I'll try and find somewhere that does leather repairs and have it fixed. I expect I could buy another but to me that's a bit of it's past life thrown away and it'd be a waste anyhow.

*How much of a euphemism did that sound? I should at this point out I have NOT had some dodgy cycling related accident to one of my prized conkers.

Oh, and thanks for the award for having an award!!!

Top Bottom