1951 Sun Super Vitesse, 3-speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This is my latest build. I purchased this machine last year form a seller in Manchester, a friend has only been able to deliver this to me in the last week or so. This is a Sun Super Vitesse from around 1951, a good deal of the original components are still with it. Im keeping this as a 3-speed version (my other I converted to 5-speed). The finish is in dark plum, my other is in royal blue. Frame is a bit bigger than my other Vitesse at around 22.5". Wheels are 26" with Weinmann alloy rims. Its shod with 26 x 1-1/4" tyres. Original bars, stem and brake levers. I'm replacing the rather feeble looking monitor brakes with some much beefier GB Courier Pluses I have in store here. I have a stock of NOS white ribbed cable for the brakes. Guards will be Bluemels all rounders in carmine red. I have completely stripped the bike and re-greased the Bayliss Wiley BB and also cleaned and regreased the delightful clip headset. Im replacing the chainwheel with a period correct 1/8" chain Williams item. Pedals are original. I have a B17 from pre 1953 with oval stamp mark which replaces the worn out B17 that came with it. Overall I aim to clean and sympathetically refurb the machine, including touching up some of the frame graphics. The original paint is in pretty good nick.

Ive made a good deal of progress on this in the last week and will post up more images shortly.

P2232827_zpsmqbi8iug.jpg

P2232822_zpsidgluna6.jpg

P2232824_zpska3zwghp.jpg

P2232825_zpswhdhraqf.jpg

P2232823_zpsui0hqyyy.jpg

P2232829_zpsl6qh70zo.jpg

P2232832_zpstxvvrbyk.jpg

P2232833_zpswzfbp6ge.jpg

P3022977_zpsojmgzqhi.jpg

P3022974_zpsdlzsszzo.jpg

P3022981_zpsp8xtwiky.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Great stuff! I’m sure you’ll make an excellent job of it as usual.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Ive been a busy boy yesterday. loosely built up the machine now, but plenty still to do.

Refurbished the wheels yesterday, the front one has a non original Campag hub and QR spindle.

P3032996_zpsymxvpvhq.jpg

P3032998_zpsltekp3lw.jpg

Need to clean up things like the grips etc...

P3032999_zpsz8jjvbtp.jpg

Ive T-cut and waxed the frame. Im going to retouch the frame graphics, I maybe will redo some of the box lining too with a ruling pen.

P3032999_zpsz8jjvbtp.jpg

P3033000_zpszcvoitey.jpg

P3033001_zpsm8pbfqmm.jpg

P3033002_zps0pert0kl.jpg

GB Courier plus brakes with quick releases.

Williams chainwheel from 1951...
P3033003_zps8a3sarls.jpg

P3033005_zps3x2lwbyh.jpg

P3033006_zpsz5nmbxfg.jpg

P3043008_zpsqhdt9x6j.jpg

wisdom

Guru
Very nice.
I personally don' like the plastic grips on the brakes but they are correct for the era.
It looks great with the work you have done.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Very nice.
I personally don' like the plastic grips on the brakes but they are correct for the era.
It looks great with the work you have done.

Yes I know what you mean, the levers on these are quite thin and the extra grips and padding these add make them more ergonomic and comfortable in my view.

Absolutely love it, that stem and those fire engine red guards are to die for!
There seems a lot of space around those wheels, was the frame built with the option of 27" or tubs or something?

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Absolutely love it, that stem and those fire engine red guards are to die for!
There seems a lot of space around those wheels, was the frame built with the option of 27" or tubs or something?
No this would have always been set for 26" wheels Ive yet to adjust the guards to position, Im sure its not going to be a perfect fit. I've tried 27" wheels in my other Vitesse and they are just too tight, 700c would probably be just OK, but I wish to keep this as original to spec as possible.

No this would have always been set for 26" wheels Ive yet to adjust the guards to position, Im sure its not going to be a perfect fit. I've tried 27" wheels in my other Vitesse and they are just too tight, 700c would probably be just OK, but I wish to keep this as original to spec as possible.
not suggesting you change it Mike, I noted you were gonna keep it 3 speed so you're not likely to mess with wheel size, it just looks like a massive space with 26" in :smile:

Top Bottom