1955 Carlton Super Python

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rod998

My Uncle gave me his Carlton Super Python a few years back. He bought it new in 1955!
It was well looked after and it has had a great life. I have used it a few times, however, it has been sitting retired for the last few years!
I feel it deserves to be returned to its good old days when new!
My uncle has told me alot about it and the original parts when he bought it new...
Frame, stem and seat post are only original parts remaining...
Number stamped into frame is 19D 64/C

Info as follows...:
Carlton Super Python. New in 1955 so it's 60 years old!
It had drop handlebars and steel rimmed wheels with racing tyres, 27 by 1 1/4.
It had 8 gears, 4 back 2 front.
It was a Williams crank and chain rings, 47 and 50 teeth.
Not sure of the size of the back rings.
Wheels were secured with track nuts.
Not the original colour!
It was bright green metallic with burgundy panels (right round) on both tubes which join bottom bracket.
Tubing is Reynolds 531 (the best at the time). The saddle was Brooks B17.
Gear change equipment was Simplex.
Brake calipers are original.

I am wondering if to return it with gears or a single speed with single freewheel as this was available also. I will try and upload some pictures soon...
Can anyone help with further information or a source of original parts?
Thanks! :biggrin:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Hello and welcome. @Spokesmann is the resident Carlton expert. Looking forward to some pictures.

OP
OP
R

rod998

Thanks for replies...
^^^^^^ +1 for gears but it depends on wether you want to do a full 'restore' jobbie or fit sympathetic modern kit to an old frame as to cost.
I am looking to do a full (or near as) original restoration...with original parts, not modern equipment...

OP
OP
R

rod998

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for replies...

I am looking to do a full (or near as) original restoration...with original parts, not modern equipment...
It doesn't look to need that much other than some GB handlebars, Levers and a rear Mech most of the rest seems to be there although the crank would originally have been a cottered one I'd stick with the one that's on.
Oh and bin that seat pronto and fit a Wrights if you can find one or a Brooks if you can't.

Top Bottom