1958/9 Sun Cycles Ladies Vitesse frame number decode?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WildernessGirl

I was wondering if anyone could help me decode my frame number. We've used a website to decode the manufacturing year, assuming that each year is alphabetical. However, what's got my gears grinding into over-drive, is that the frame model type is 'SV'…which was used for the Super Vitesse mens bike that the website had decoded. She also has a guilt 'S' on the seat tubing, but 'Super' isn't written anywhere on her. I can't find any information about a ladies Super Vitesse, and from what I've read, they were a mens sportier 4 speed, and my Gal is a 3 speed. Does anyone know anything about the models available in the late 1950's?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Sounds interesting indeed. Any images?

I have a Sun from the early 60s, however it uses Carlton numbering. There were a few good cycles made by Sun prior to the take over and incorporation into Carlton by TI Investments.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Sun_bicycles_main.htm

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Sun SV Ladies.jpg
I was wondering if anyone could help me decode my frame number. We've used a website to decode the manufacturing year, assuming that each year is alphabetical. However, what's got my gears grinding into over-drive, is that the frame model type is 'SV'…which was used for the Super Vitesse mens bike that the website had decoded. She also has a guilt 'S' on the seat tubing, but 'Super' isn't written anywhere on her. I can't find any information about a ladies Super Vitesse, and from what I've read, they were a mens sportier 4 speed, and my Gal is a 3 speed. Does anyone know anything about the models available in the late 1950's?

I had a Sun Super Vitesse; your frame isn't from the late 50s - the 'S' indicates 1951/2, and within a 1951 Sun Catalogue, is the Super Vitesse (see pic from 1951 Sun Catalogue). It is a plain 531 frame with Sun's own cutaway lugs, sitting under the Manx TT, Wasp, and Manxman in the Sun hierarchy. A plain 531 frame should ride very nicely indeed !

Top Bottom