1960's Viking Conquest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I picked up this Viking Conquest today. I am hoping to clean it up and get it rideable again.

It is in original condition , one owner from new. It is from the original Viking company from Wolverhampton, I think from their glory days of the 60's.

Here are some pictures of it before I washed it and started cleaning it.

DSC_0121 (1).JPG

DSC_0123 (1).JPG

DSC_0125 (1).JPG

DSC_0126 (1).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0122 (1).JPG
    DSC_0122 (1).JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0124 (1).JPG
    DSC_0124 (1).JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
After a bit of a clean.
I have not seen this make of steel tubing before. I think it is I C L. It has gold lined Nervex lugs.

DSC_0128 (1).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0131 (1).JPG
    DSC_0131 (1).JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0130.JPG
    DSC_0130.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0129 (1).JPG
    DSC_0129 (1).JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I've been out in the garden in the shade this afternoon cleaning it up . I have been de rusting the cranks and rear mech. The cranks are coming up well . The rust scabs can be scraped off with a flat bladed screwdriver after brushing on the gel . The rear mech is cleaning up but some of the chrome has come off . It has disc idlers .
I had a go at polishing the paint and I am really impressed by the finish . The clear lacquer is as good as that on my 80's Raleigh Clubman.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
There are some bits I really like which I am discovering whilst cleaning it up . I like the V logo on the bolts . The cotter pins are usual or I haven't seen anything like them before . They are bullet shaped ! They remind me of the 60's TV series "The Lone Ranger". He handed out silver bullets !
I had a look on the back of the front brake caliper hoping to find a date stamp but there wasn't one ! :sad:

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think the derailleur has Allvit on it

Allvit was a Huret range derailleur. there is an example shown on https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site/derailleur_brands_a_to_r.html but not your one.

I have no idea which model btw, I was just referencing VCL vs ICl tubing with that link, its the right era, but spec will no doubt vary between years.

my first proper "racing" bike was a Viking - a kids/teens 26" wheel model in the late 70's, somewhat past their glory years, although I think they were still churning out a 531 framed superlight back then, along with cheaper mass market models.

Top Bottom