1970's /80's Racing Cycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have recently bought this cycle. It was advertised as being a 1980's model but since I have been cleaning it and had a closer look I am wondering if it could be

from the 70's. I have several reasons why I think it is earlier, one being the way in which the seat tube has been decorated with bands. I feel that this form of

decoration was on the way out by the mid 70's and was being replaced by large block lettering. I have been doing a bit of research into the type of Reynolds

transfers used. The type of transfer although partially obliterated was in use from 77 to 81. The other piece that I have uncovered is the type of rear mech.

According to the information on Disraeli Gears the Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport with the lettering on the bolts was in use from 1973 to 81/82. The frame

number V0500754, as yet I haven't found a source for dating them.

The bike itself is all there, it needs a clean and lubrication which is being carried out slowly. The frame and forks are made from Reynolds 531 butted tubing.

The rear seat stays are the of the thicker style with fluted ends. The lugs are plain long spear point.

All of the components are Campagnolo, hubs, front and rear mechs, cranks, seat post, brakes, I'm not sure if the levers are or if they are Weinmann. The

bars are Mavic and the rims are Wobler. Somebody certainly splashed out on this bike. The rear sprockets are 5 speed Regina Corsa.

As I said I am in the process of cleaning the bike and haven't ridden it yet. The rear hub bearings need sorting out as there was quite a bit of play in them.

From what I have found out so far is that Viking originally started off in Wolverhampton and lasted up to 1967. from then until 1980 it seems to bit of a dark

period with several different owners before moving to Northern Ireland. Where my bike fits in this I don't know. :wacko:

Attachments

• DSC_2321.JPG
    DSC_2321.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_2323.JPG
    DSC_2323.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_2325.JPG
    DSC_2325.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_2326.JPG
    DSC_2326.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_2328.JPG
    DSC_2328.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 20

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks nice enough , nice splash of campagnola as well.

Are they 27" wheels ?

midlife

Guru
Portacatena rear dropouts were first seen at the Milan show in 1977 and arrived here the next year for some builders. Others used up their stock first so used them later. No top tube cable guides and over bb cable guides so my guess would be late 70's or early 80's.

I think the Ti logo on the 531 decal started 1977/78 ish.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Viking relaunched the Severn Valley in 1978 with Campag GS kit.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Viking relaunched the Severn Valley in 1978 with Campag GS kit.

I just had a look at the catalogue again and it seems to list all of the components mine has, even down to the handlebars being Mavic. The transfer on the seat tube is the same as used on some other models, it lists a lot of their racing successes. As I have no information regarding the Severn Valley relaunch , the Superlite is the closest that I have found so far.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I've had another look at the catalogue . I admit that there are several differences between my bike and the details of the Superlite . It is the closest match that I have found so far . I was surprised to find out how much Campagnolo gear was fitted to the bike when I bought it . The advert was a little bit vague and I could only see a Campag front brake and rear mech.
What I have in Campag gear are as follows . Rear mech Nuovo Gran Sport , chain set, front and rear brakes, front mech and levers, seat post , front and rear hubs ,bottom bracket, headset . Not sure what make the brake levers are .
The handlebars are Mavic.
The rims are Wolber 700's there isn't enough room to fit 27's.
The frame and forks are Reynolds 531butted .
I am glad that I saved this bike from being bought by someone who would have stripped it and sold off the parts .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Horrible, suicide levers is what they are. They're the only thing on a very nice bike, which belong in a skip.

The presence of those suicide levers suggest its not a superlight, as that was Viking's top of the range bike, which wouldn't have come with them. that's not to say they haven't been retrofitted, or originally bought as a frame set and built up by original owner or supplying bike shop....

I had a Warlord - their 26" wheel "junior" racer, my first drop bar bike bought from saved up pocket money!

midlife

Guru
The rebirth of the Severn Valley bike ( an old Viking name) was to find a suitable outlet for the revamped Campagnolo "Nuovo Gran Sport" kit that landed on these shores in 1978.

Several manufacturers touted bikes that sported the "Nuovo Gran Sport" kit as a way of flogging more bikes, I think the Dave Lloyd Echelon was one of them. Lots of people fitted "safety / GT" levers aftermarket, I spent many a happy hour fitting the Dia-Compe levers to a whole variety of bikes.....

Top Bottom