1970's Dawes Galaxy conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonoB

Über Member
I'm in the process of converting my old Galaxy to a winter hack, buying s/h parts off Ebay. I've fitted a set of straight bars and Shimano brake levers which work well with the old Weinmanns. Question is....... is there some way of changing the gears to handlebar mounted rather than racing/frame mounted ones. Is there such a thing as a kit you can buy instead of having bits welded on to the frame to tension the gear cable?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
One thing you will need is band on cable stops, assuming the bike currently has band on downtube shifters. They're a bit rare these days but your LBS should have some. You can then convert the bike to sti or trigger shifters as desired.....

cchapman

I myself wouldn't have sraight bars. They force the hands and arms into an unnatural position. Have flat bars with the grip parts angled back if you must. Remember that straight bars are only provided by the mfr because they are the cheapest option.
Why not look at some cyclo cross bikes to see how they're set up?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If your frame already has downtube gear bosses like these:
tech_dtshifterbossescropped.jpg

then get some bolt-on cable stops like these:
820-3059-main-ergo_stops-107.jpg

http://www.cyclebasket.com/smsimg/107/820-3059-main-ergo_stops-107.jpg
If your frame doesn't have the bosses, then get some band-on cable stops like these:
downtubestop.jpg

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/images/Gears/spares/downtubestop.jpg

I did up a 70's Galaxy and decided against upgrading the downtube shifters. It's a matter of personal choice, but for me, the simplicity and original look of them was appealing. Plus I saved money on the conversion - having already changed wheels, gearing etc, I decided the downtube shifters would stay. 5 years on, they're still going strong and haven't given me any problems at all - that's on a bike doing 100 miles a week.

OP
OP
JonoB

JonoB

Über Member
Thanks

Thanks for your help guys...........these bosses seem to be out of stock eveywhere. Guess I'll have to continue without for a while.

JOno

PpPete

Legendary Member
Band on cable stops

There is always this style. SJS have them and are reliable supplier (unlike Winstanleys)

However I think this desgn is ugleeee, so I stayed with down tube shifters when I did this one up for my son.

Actually my own 1987 Galaxy is still on down-tube shifters, and likely to remain so, even though the rest of drive train is in process of being upgraded to triple Tiagra (also sourcing parts of ebay)

OP
OP
JonoB

JonoB

Über Member
porkypete said:
There is always this style. SJS have them and are reliable supplier (unlike Winstanleys)

However I think this desgn is ugleeee, so I stayed with down tube shifters when I did this one up for my son.

Actually my own 1987 Galaxy is still on down-tube shifters, and likely to remain so, even though the rest of drive train is in process of being upgraded to triple Tiagra (also sourcing parts of ebay)

They might do the job just fine and I already have an account with SJS. Mine is a green one with chrome lower forks. Can't decide whether to have it blasted and powder coated @ £60 or hand paint it with synthetic enamel paint ( I hand painted my mini back in '83).
Unfortunately I have to buy components gradually so the wife doesn't notice. Bought a set of Sora rear deraillers for £4, Specialized Avatar £22 and alloy bars for £1 on Ebay. A bit mix and match but that's half the fun.

Top Bottom