1970's Dawes Galaxy Value

should i keep or sell

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have no idea what to do with this beauty of a bike

this is a once in a lifetime find , its a 1970's Dawes Galaxy touring bike in mint condition apart from a couple of marks that happened early on in its life and were touched up at the time .

23" british racing green reynolds 531 frame with half chrome forks and rear stays along with chromed fork crown .

all original 10 speed simplex changers, levers with chromed 3 arm stronglight cottered crank set as supplied from day one , 27" x 1 1/4" Brimalux alloy rims laced on to Maillard new star large flanged hubs with matching quick release levers , new Schwalbe Marathons fitted .

Weinmann 610 & 750 centre pull brake calipers operated by newer stlye shimano slr levers new short reach quill stem and alloy drop bars . Maddison gel saddle on new stem .

Goldish tint esge style gaurds fr & rr , rear carrier, original chromed dynamo system that works , original from new Huret belt driven speedo that reads 596 miles which i am led to understand is the bikes total miles from new .

the following items were fitted new at start of 2013 , tyres,tubes,brake cable , saddle stem , quill stem, handle bars and brake levers .

as can be seen in pics this is in immaculate condition .

i have advertised it on Gumtree for the simple reason in 6 months of ownership i have done 10 miles and cant keep this bike for that kind of mileage so i am looking for somebody who wants to love & cherish and use this bike

or should i keep it ?

gal1.JPG
gal1.JPG
galaxy2.JPG
galaxy3.JPG
gal1.JPG
galaxy2.JPG
galaxy3.JPG
gal1.JPG galaxy2.JPG galaxy3.JPG gal1.JPG galaxy2.JPG

fossala

Guru
If you feel bad about not riding it, just ride it more.

fossala

Guru
my biggest use of bike is for commuting and they are left exposed to the elements at work place , and it seems criminal to treat this old gal in that way .
Get a new job! My current job, having somewhere inside to store my bike was a requirement for my acceptance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might be interested for my UK trip, although I really wanted something with a triple and a bit more modern. Also a bit small for me. How much do you want for it?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Might be interested for my UK trip, although I really wanted something with a triple and a bit more modern. Also a bit small for me. How much do you want for it?
as for value really unsure i was advised around the £475 area which seems way to high , so no idea if you are interested let me know sure we could work it out

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, I've had a think about it and I don't think it would suit me for this trip. It is very nice but not too practical. I think it really needs someone who is a Dawes or vintage enthusiast. Thanks anyway.

goody

Veteran
You could always take the third option, give it to me and I promise to use it as intended. I'll even take pictures of it in exotic locations and email them to you.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You could always take the third option, give it to me and I promise to use it as intended. I'll even take pictures of it in exotic locations and email them to you.
must admit did wonder about hiring it out to period tv & film makers . or for touring on

Top Bottom