1970s Falcon, Raleigh? Any ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hello team,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gaijintendo/albums/72157670149251395
27582914740_c6b6ccdfc4_k.jpg

I had been using this fairly anonymous bike as my dry weather commuter, (and a 2003 Norco Citadel disguised as a tank when it was wet). Then I got a Kaffenback and pretty much just got used to shuffling past her in my shed.

I always wondered what she was exactly. I also realise how tiresome genderification is, but I feel it would be an insult to revert to 'it'.

She has:
Serial number, looking at Sheldon that might make it 1972?
wrap-around seat stay
lamp mount on fork
silver dipped fork
nearly nothing brazed on (cables were clipped etc)

For what it is worth she had some Weinmann 730 brakes hanging off her and a Shimano SIS rear derailleur on it when I picked her up.

The sad part: I fished her out in May and planned on greasing her up, and managed to half-thread the non-drive side crank so got a bit angry. Also, the rear wheel bearings were caged and needing some tlc, which, once I figured meant I assembled it loosely and stuck the loose ones in a wee tub. Long story short, I gave up and now have a shed full of bits, and I am trying to establish how much effort to put into this. Maybe it is time for her to go to the great Flip-Flop in the Gumtree.

I really appreciate any help whatsoever!

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
No braze ons were a typical Falcon feature as were that style of wrap round seat stays. Falcon frame numbers as far as I could work out are entirely random.

Falcon Olympic ?

abzIqZU.jpg

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Hi

I have a soft spot for Falcon as I sold them at Cliff Pratt Cycles back in the 70's. Have you got a pic of the frame number?
Is there anything brazed on?

Cheers

Shaun

Top Bottom