1970s Puch Ladies bikes (x2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As seen in the Classic & Vintage forum ("show us your vintage road bikes" - page 2, post #34).
I have two Puch ladies' step-through framed bikes for sale. Click on the bike model name to view photo(s).

1975 Puch Touring - classic city bike
I bought this as a bike I could lend out to women friends thinking about taking up cycling but hesitating on spending money in case they didn't like it (!).
It came back home to me 6 months ago with no further 'bookings' in sight and it's just too small for me to ride myself(and surplus to requirements anyway). It's in very good working condition - cosmetically has seen better days but surprisingly little rust - nice patina to the paintwork without much fading. Only thing that needs replacing is the seatpost (somebody replaced the original with one that doesn't quite fit and it keeps slipping, even with a shim). Tyres are newish but have with no puncture protection). Everything else seems to be original and untouched.

1970s(?) Puch Rugby Sport - classic "Dutch style"/roadster
This one needs TLC that I just haven't got time to do properly. It was found in a garage (out of sunlight) where it had sat for 13 known years (and very probably nearly 30 years from what we can piece together but that's conjecture). I was told it was from the 1950s but the headbadge makes me suspect late 1970s. Everything on it is original and untouched - nothing dented or cracked - but lots of surface rust esp on handlebars and mudguards. Sprung vinyl-cover Brooks saddle. Hub dyno. Cafe lock (key present but seems to be seized up). No serious mechanical work needed as far as I can tell - a good clean up, service (new brake & gear cables), tyres/tubes/rim tape. Cosmetically, potential to be whatever you make of it, from 'faded old grande dame' to stunning as-new. (Excellent Tweed Run prospect either way!) My own intention was to start with T-cut and polish on all the coachwork, have a go at the rust on the handlebars (with Plan B being to replace with new North Roads), and then have a think about the state of the mudguards - they're the one item that'll probably be the most problematic to clean/repair or replace.

Both bikes have internal hub gears - Sturmey Archer 3 speeds

Asking £75 for either or £125 for both. Happy to send further photos to anyone on request by PM - or you can dig around the Facebook photo albums. Viewings welcome by appointment. :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Rebecca,
My brother's girlfriend is very keen on the Orange Puch Touring - she is 5'5 - how big is the bike, she thinks she needs a 16"?
Remind me where you are based - she is in Morden.
Might you be around at the weekend for a viewing?
Many thanks!
Vickster

Hi Vickster]

I'm in Mitcham but unfortunately will be away this weekend.

As to size - it depends on what riding position she likes, really. I'm 5'4" with 32" inseam and the Touring is wayyyyy too small for me. Two key issues here:
* seat post length: if she's shorter in the leg than I am and/or likes her saddle low enough to put her foot on the ground while seated, then it may be okay (remember it does need a new seat post and it may be possible to get one that's longer than the old one).
* handlebars - the ones on the bike are quite short (narrow from end to end. I mind this but she might not.

Basically - only a test ride will tell for sure! Is a weekday evening possible? If so, PM me please...

Cheers
Rebecca

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Rebecca
Thanks for your detailed reply. She is still interested (being shorter of leg), and Mitcham is certainly close. However, she works during the evenings, presume you work during the day :smile: She might be available Weds or Fri pm (depending on shifts), otherwise next weekend?
Cheers

BUMP

Puch Rugby Sport still available. And it does now seem that it's from the 1950s as originally claimed by the people I bought it from, not the 1970s as I cynically thought. It's all in the details, it seems!

I had just about decided to keep this lovely bike myself to get into good riding condition -- it's so beautiful and has such potential -- but I will be moving house in next few months and (a) need to get rid of stuff, and (b) the new house is in the countryside and it's quite hilly. I currently live in London where a 3-speed town bike could be useful, but at the new house this bike, even if fully restored, just won't be practical for me.

I don't want to see it sit in a garage for another 30 years!!

Price remains £75 even given the increased certainty that it is a proper vintage bicycle and quite rare.
Viewings welcome and more pics available on request. Can be viewed in Mitcham CR4 up to Friday evening 12th October. After that, it may be in Bedfordshire.... where of course viewings will still be welcome!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've sent a link to a friend, she had her road bike stolen recently so this may be useful as an interim.

Sounds like a lovely little machine!

I've sent a link to a friend, she had her road bike stolen recently so this may be useful as an interim.

Sounds like a lovely little machine!
... or a lovely BIG machine, even! :ohmy:
Make no mistake - this is proper vintage - it won't just be a case of walking into any old LBS to get spare parts for it... and not every mechanic will be happy (or to be trusted!) working on it.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I don't reckon it will be her cup of tea as she's used to a road bike but she has a link to it.

Hope it sells!

Thanks G. I don't mind at all if she's really interested - I just want to be sure the person buying it knows what s/he is getting and is getting that s/he wants!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Do you know what size it is? I saw the above and was thinking more of the smaller machine that you found too small- however, I see that one's gone now.

If by size, you mean, who will it fit, then I suppose it's medium. However, this style of bike is by its nature long, tall and of course heavy. That's the downside and stated in a relative way to drive home the point that it is 'out of the norm'. The upside is that it's very stable and "cushy" to ride - feels like you're just floating along on a big elegant sofa!

If your friend is your size-ish, then yes, probably a bit too big to be manageable and/or comfortable. I certainly wouldn't want to haul it in and out of a house every day, even if stairs weren't involved. Maneuvering in and out of a garage or shed though would be just fine.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No, she needs smaller size than me- hence why I was thinking of the bike that you thought was too small. Ah well, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom