1987 Peugeot Shed Find!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Bike looks great! I have a very similar Peugeot (might even be the same model from the looks of it). One thing i've struggled with is the wheel sizing. It has the tyre spacing gap on the chainstays and i keep trying different wheels / tyres but non seem to fit well. What size Weinmanns / tyre setup did you go for, whatever i try i seem to only get a couple mm clearance. Are they custom built?
Your advice / anyone's advice much appreciated.

Hi davidbrad, welcome to Cycle Chat!

The wheels on this bike are 700c store bought, with the rear running a 28mm tire and the front running 25mm with plenty of clearance for larger.

My frame also has the indents in the chain stay to allow for greater wheel clearance, however as I have to run the wheel near the front of the dropouts to achieve the required chain tension the tire falls outside of these indents leaving only 1 or 2 mm clearance between the tire wall and the chain stay. This is no real issue as long as you ensure the wheel is done up tight and isn't going to move. I used a torque wrench for this to ensure I was reaching 40Nm.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions just ask!

davidbrad

Great news thanks HovR!
Strangely, i'd not tried 700's, just assumed they wouldn't fit. Thanks so much for the info. Shame the clearance is still quite small though. I guess it's an excuse to keep on top of maintenance having to keep adjusting them. I'll post back here as and when.
Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
nice, but not road legal. you can only have front brake only with a fixed wheel bike...

I certainly managed to lock up the back wheel well enough on the second test ride though, even without a rear brake! When the wheel slipped in the dropouts and jammed against the frame. :laugh:

In all seriousness, the back brake just hadn't been cleaned/polished up and fitted as of that photo. I just wanted to get out and ride/test it.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Identical to the bike I ride.. Looks to be a PH501.. mine still has the old serial on the frame (the old paper under tape!) dating would be about right too. Lovely little bikes. I've come to realize just how original my bike was when I bought it. I think pretty much all of it is apart from hopefully the brake pads. though Judging by how little meat they had it may have been and it doesn't seem mine was ridden much.. tyres original flimsy and cracked. but all the parts the same apart from some new cork tape! (though I need to try attempt a removal of the seized seat post!)

peugeothack

Hello

I have a similar / the same 501 bike with a seat post pipe rear bolt hole. How does yours grip the seat post? The bolt hole on mine has no threads, so I drilled a hole into the post itself and the weight of the saddle (and me) seems to keep it in... but it is wiggly and if feels like a shoddy fix! Any advice is gratefully received!

Attachments

• IMG_1150.JPG
    IMG_1150.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 78

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The 'bolt hole' has no threads, it's the bolt which goes through it that has. Don't know what's going on with yours, looks like someone has added a external seat clamp and is that a sleeve around the post?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMG_0788.JPG

Should look like this.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Great post and site - discovered through trying to identify a stripped frame bought from Ebay for £12+£15 p&p. Mine turns out is a 1984 PGN10US Routier. Bought as a home for the workshop sweepings from my latest equipment cascade. It won't be a concourse restoration, but a pretty classy urban commuter all the same. Look at that seatpost binding again @Cycleops - the clamp is actually quite a nifty solution without causing permanent damage.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
True. How about a pic of yours @Edgy Dee? Most of the posters on this thread seem to have disappeared, never to be seen again.
Photos will be forthcoming in a new thread to follow shortly.
I also bought another peugeot frame (by accident, as you do), and I'll be reselling that soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1258

nice, but not road legal. you can only have front brake only with a fixed wheel bike...

A fixed is perfectly legal with both a front and back brake, my fixed is my winter bike and runs a back brake.

Top Bottom