1996 Specialized Epic Comp model any comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
been looking at one of the above framesets , and just wondered if anybody had any comments or experiance of them . i have heard that earlier ones came unstuck but my theory is its lasted since mid 90's without coming unstuck so hopefully should be ok for a few more years .

from what i can make out main tubes are carbon rest is alloy so should be quite light and nice to ride .

silver watch, spesh 022.JPG

HovR

Über Member
but my theory is its lasted since mid 90's without coming unstuck so hopefully should be ok for a few more years .

I'd agree with this. A a couple of guys in my club ride early Trek carbon/alloy models and they seem like a really nice bike. Nice and light too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have a Giant CFR from '92 with the same construction & Ultegra gear, It's a lovely bike to ride, so bearing in mind the foregoing comments the stories you heard regarding failure may be untrue.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
frame set has turned up all tubing is carbon and forks are alloy so nice and light , so now need to decide single speed or multi speed ..........

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
this 1 is finally coming together and should be up and running by weekend if all goes to plan . feels nice and light as it should be .

will post pic once i decide what bars and stem combo to use

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
this 1 is finally coming together and should be up and running by weekend if all goes to plan . feels nice and light as it should be .

will post pic once i decide what bars and stem combo to use

a few projects have jumped in front of this so whilst the Pollard is away at lbs , this one will be finished and readied for riding

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
well a week in of commuter use and still cant quite get bars in right place put pretty dam close now . will be glad when right so i can chop of excess cables inner and outer off . Have not bothered with fr changer as commute is flat .

Rides nice but hard to compare when all other bikes are steel
spec epic.JPG

Top Bottom