1mph improvement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
In fairness I think the weight factor probably comes into that too. I know as the summer progresses I’ll be carrying less of the Christmas Celebrations [the chocolates].
Of course wind affects but I’d never thought much about temperature before but the other day I was hearing about how air resistance reduces with temperature because of course the air molecules are less densely packed at warmer temperatures.
Also just after it's been raining, it will be low air pressure and with luck very still.and plenty of oxygen in the air.

Sharky

Guru
Just to demonstrate how many factors affect avg speed, outside fitness.

I have a training loop I use which is about 13 miles. Early season when it's bad weather, heavy clothing, muddy roads etc, I'd be lucky to achieve 10 or 11mph avg. Come the warmer months and summer clothing, if I really try, I can just top 14 mph avg. The course is quite hilly and my best times are on my single speed (68").

However, when I change my bike to my fixed TT bike (88") and ride our evening 10 mile time trials on a typical flat TT course, I can just get inside 30mins (20mph).

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Just to demonstrate how many factors affect avg speed, outside fitness.

I have a training loop I use which is about 13 miles. Early season when it's bad weather, heavy clothing, muddy roads etc, I'd be lucky to achieve 10 or 11mph avg. Come the warmer months and summer clothing, if I really try, I can just top 14 mph avg. The course is quite hilly and my best times are on my single speed (68").

However, when I change my bike to my fixed TT bike (88") and ride our evening 10 mile time trials on a typical flat TT course, I can just get inside 30mins (20mph).
Yes and road surface, pot holes etc etc. I’m always wondering which bits cost me. Like does 30s stood still at traffic lights cost .1mph overall. Being a bit thick and no good at maths I don’t attempt to try and work out these different variants.
How to deal with hills is another one. I’m never sure if I should blat up them or…take a medium approach so that I come off the top with more energy (I know many factors affect this but as an average I never know which is the best approach).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In fairness I think the weight factor probably comes into that too. I know as the summer progresses I’ll be carrying less of the Christmas Celebrations [the chocolates].
Of course wind affects but I’d never thought much about temperature before but the other day I was hearing about how air resistance reduces with temperature because of course the air molecules are less densely packed at warmer temperatures.

On a flat course , your weight will make bugger all difference to your speed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep riding regular and push yourself. Certainly climbing helps to increase fitness.

Riding often, for smaller distances, is better than a long ride once a week.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do you have any local hills that take 4-20 mins to get up? Ride up them with the aim to get up them at the fastest average speed possible. This will mean your heart rate reaching at least 90% of max by the top. Try and find 3 or 4 hills close together so you can chain them together. This is what I do about once every 5 days.

My nearest hill loop is 7 mins , 93% max HR, 2 min recovery , 5 min, 90% max HR, 3 mins recovery, 10 mins, 93% max HR, 2 mins recovery, 4 mins, 93% max HR.

Rest of the time I just get the longer (2-3 hours with a 4-5 hour on weekend) easier ride in, below about 78% of max HR.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tyres can also make the 1mph difference if you aren’t already running fast rubber. I tested two combinations of tyres on my bike this week. Tested them in same out and back section of road for an hour each. The road set was 2.7km/h faster than my touring tyres, averaged over the hour I did each test.

The touring tyres are usually on autumn through spring as more robust. But I’d thought I’d compare them when I’m at same fitness level and with the tyres being the only difference. You ride to HR to ensure consistency and that you don’t ride so hard that blowing up affects the results.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Tyres can also make the 1mph difference if you aren’t already running fast rubber. I tested two combinations of tyres on my bike this week. Tested them in same out and back section of road for an hour each. The road set was 2.7km/h faster than my touring tyres, averaged over the hour I did each test.
When I tried Continental GPS4000 my average went up roughly 1mph for same perceived effort, but also got two punctures within a couple of weeks so not worth it for me, but definitely worth considering if speed is more important.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
When I tried Continental GPS4000 my average went up roughly 1mph for same perceived effort, but also got two punctures within a couple of weeks so not worth it for me, but definitely worth considering if speed is more important.

That is the trade off you need to decide. I think if you have an event with time limits where some extra speed will make a difference, then it’s worth it. Otherwise, if there’s no time limits, 1 mph doesn’t really matter.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

I should add that the funniest thing is that the road tyre in the much faster combination costs £13 whilst the slower one was £40. Difference between Italian “budget” and German “premium” tyres I guess!

Top Bottom