1st 50 Miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

I think you're being a bit cautious. Over 6 weekends I went: 15,30,45,55,75,85 then did the Ox-Camb 90. Only a weds night 45 min spin in the garage between each. No science involved, just feeling my way back after about 20 years. The 'magic' was using those carbo gel pouches every 40 mins or so after the first hour - entirely took away the cramps experienced during the first couple of rides. Averaged between 16-17 mph on all of them, the final one being the same as the 30 miler at 16.8 ave. What I realise now is that gaining 1 mph - say to 17.8 ave is going to need a whole different level of fitness! (or possibly a carbon bike!)

Hi folks,

I'm planning my first 50 this Sunday, (Accrington to Morecambe actually 46 miles) so I've put in a slight detour to make it a 50 (no point riding that far without making a milestone distance) I've done several 25 - 30 milers, so this is quite a big step up. I'm hopng to do it in around 3.5 hrs (am I being optimistic) Most of my rides are around 10 to 15 miles and I seem to average aound 16mph on lets say undulating roads (except Pendle Hill thats a ba{:content:}amp;**d). Looking on the route planner it seems to be reasonably flat once I get over Pendle with no major inclines, so I'm hoping to maintain a reasonable average speed. Is this realistic or should I expect fatigue to kick in. What I suppose I'm askingis, is the step up from 25miles to 50 miles so a big step or am I just getting myself worked up over nothing.

Chrisc

Guru
Looks like a good day fer it. Just take it easy, enjoy it and let it take as long as it takes. You can worry about the time on future 50's!

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Due to unforseen circumstances my ride tomorrow had to be cancelled, so with some hasty route replanning I decided to go for it tody. My new route took me from Accrington out to Colne and over towards Keighley then down to Skipton and back home via Earby. Total distatnce covered 51.1 miles in a time of three hours fourty minutes. The outward half was really difficult as I was cycling into a severe headwind at times I was struggling to do 5mph on a flat road which mean't I took over two hours to complete the first 26 miles but was really able to get a shift on after the turn. By the end my legs were dead, but I was really chuffed I'd done it with no major problems (main problem was my elbow ???). Now looking forward to doing another one and I,m even having delusional thought of doing the way of the Roses next Easter. Thanks to all that replied, your advice was all heeded and welcomed.

Congrats ........... :biggrin:

The next one needs to be 100 km.
Then after thats its the 100 miles .......... :ohmy:

Luck .......... :biggrin:

postman

Legendary Member
A well done from me also .A nice finish would have been Morecambe .I actually like the old place ,just for a quick visit only mind .

My fave 50 is to York flat and fast .And a visit to Greggs bacon butty and a latte £1.99.

And a sit in the park near the West door .

Perfect day out .

OP
OP
rovers1875

rovers1875

Veteran
Congrats ........... :biggrin:

The next one needs to be 100 km.
Then after thats its the 100 miles .......... :ohmy:

Luck .......... :biggrin:

Again, thanks to everyone for their comments etc.
I'm already looking to doing another one, I've now had a few days recovery and all aches have gone (not that they were that bad in the first place) I was looking at a 75 miler (must admit I hadn't thought of going metric and doing a 100k) this would probably be a better idea. I'm also looking to do the way of the roses, around Easter next year. We have rented a cottage just outside Bridlington and I'm hoping to cycle there. Gets quite adictive this cycling lark dosn't it.

Top Bottom