1st Bike for 150Kg Male

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

NX01

The wheels aren't likely to fail immediately that's the only issue. It's hard to test something that could fail in a few hundred miles time, i rather suspect Halfords know this. Whatever bike you go for, i would keep the wheels true and avoid potholes, drops off curbs and jumps of any kind. I hope however if Halfords allow you test and you bust up the wheel they consider themselves liable and if they do, give it the beans :laugh:

In any case with the information you're armed with, i wish you all the best. :okay:

Many thanks.

From what he said he was wanting to ensure that the tyre was not squashed which he agreed could happen with a thinner tyre. This was actually a response to my query about the tyre not being pressed flat by my weight as I was thinking the flatter it is the more prone to damage the wheel would be in use. Almost certainly I would avoid potholes and jumps etc as that just seems to be asking for trouble.

I too would look at decent quality steel-framed mountain bikes from the early to mid 90s, definitely without front suspension.

Something like this:

99s Claud Butler mountain bike

They're tough, the wheels have a high spoke count and will have a good spread of gears for a returning cyclists. I'm not an expert on mountain bikes but a quick look around eBay and Gumtree shows a range of steel framed bikes from this era made by the likes of Specialized, Trek, Marin and GT for around about 100 pounds with decent componentry for its era. You can replace the nobly off road tyres with something slicker if you're going to be riding or cycle paths. I'm sure they'll be retro mountain bike enthusiasts on this site who can advise what brands to look out for and what brands to go for (or avoid).

Obviously give them a thorough going over before you part with your cash, but there's bargains to be had out there.

And lastly, congratulations we all started somewhere and we were all rubbish at the start. It only gets, easier, better and more fun. Use forums like this,I only wished they'd been something similar when I got into bikes. Take your time to build up slowly. It might be worth downloading Strava (the free app is fine), just to see how much your times across the same route or sections of it improve.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well from what I understand I'm best going for a mountain bike, it's literally just to take on tow paths and parks and thank you for the welcome

I would go for an early steel MTB with no suspension. Something like my old Marin Bear Valley.

IMG_20221203_074226594.jpg

Big John

Guru
Good solid steel frame and strong wheels. Strong, sturdy looking rims and 36 spokes in a 3 cross pattern. Check it has a longish seat post so you have a lot of seat post stuffed into the seat tube. A strong, comfy saddle. Then just enjoy! 👍

Top Bottom