1st ever commute this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

These would be the walking heart attacks who normally think any form of exercise is nuts^_^

That does help a lot, a couple of like-minded colleagues to chat cycling with and share problems/solutions.

You heard it here first folks, 'well 'n truly hooked', WE'VE GOT ANOTHER OOONNNEEEE :welcome: :sun: :bravo:

Definitely a good idea. As far as is practical/budgetable shop for fit and comfort rather than price, even if you have to take a very deep breath as you pay. The mornings when you'd have taken the car you won't mind being on the bike 'cos your 'proofs will be quality kit and will work .
Blyth to Newcastle Central Station is a good hike, well done sir. I'd imagine there will be more than one route you could take, depending upon weather/time of year/tiredness etc?
I was on me hols caravanning near Warkworth a couple of weeks back and we went into Newcastle as I wanted to show the kids the toon (as I was born upriver in Ryton 'n all) and was mightily impressed. Lotsa cyclists, a city-based cycle hire scheme and a city which seemed to be buzzing with new builds, energy and the impression it's looking forwards. Sat on the quayside with an icecream and a latte whilst my kids built sandcastles on the 'beach' behind me, palm trees to my left and right and looking accross the river at the Sage I could't help but reflect how things there have changed.

Yep its certainly changed over the years, you only have to have a little stroll down the Quayside to see that, funnily enough we did exactly the same thing as you a month or so ago with the kids on a rare sunny day.....enjoyed making a sandcastle under some palm trees smack bang in the centre of the Toon ha ha, pretty much opposite the site of the old Tuxedo Princess (better known as the 'Boat') which if you are of a certain age you will bound to have had some good nights out on the revolving dancefloor on the lower floor.....anyway that's enough harking back to the good old days ha ha

Actually that little day out down the Quayside caught my attention of how many cyclists were riding East & West along the wide paths, so much so that it inspired me to cycle into the town a few days later & head east from the Quayside right along the river right up to Tynemouth then up that killer bank & along to Blyth (via Seaton Delaval for a sneaky ice cream), ended up doing 45 miles that day on my own in the beautiful sunshine....& loved every minute of it ^_^

I'm initially going to set a 'target' of doing my commute twice a week & see how it goes with the weather & different times etc....but you're dead right about having plenty of routes into Newcastle from Blyth so i'll just experiment which i like the best & i can go the long way home if i feel up to it after work without the time restraints.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well done Bob!!!! It's a slippery slope and that 'couple of times a week' soon becomes any day there isn't a tornado (and still even then if you are stubborn!). Keep it up :thumbsup:

pretty much opposite the site of the old Tuxedo Princess (better known as the 'Boat') which if you are of a certain age you will bound to have had some good nights out on the revolving dancefloor on the lower floor

Never went in it, we moved South many years ago and I never felt motivated to go there once I was old enough. Do you know why it went in the end?(possibly didn't fit the new 'posh' image of the quayside?).

Actually that little day out down the Quayside caught my attention of how many cyclists were riding East & West along the wide paths

It took me a few minutes to realise that some of the more 'kitted-up' riders must have been starting/ending the C2C, gave me the itch to want to do it again :bicycle: [/quote]

so much so that it inspired me to cycle into the town a few days later & head east from the Quayside right along the river right up to Tynemouth then up that killer bank & along to Blyth (via Seaton Delaval for a sneaky ice cream), ended up doing 45 miles that day on my own in the beautiful sunshine....& loved every minute of it ^_^
....and there we have it, conclusive proof of why cycling is soooooo addictive once you get into it and realise you won't die if you cycle more than 10 miles in a day :smile:

but you're dead right about having plenty of routes into Newcastle from Blyth so i'll just experiment which i like the best & i can go the long way home if i feel up to it after work without the time restraints.

And that can make all the difference, try out a few routes so you've always got one to suit your mood. The only thing that jarred me off was when I found out your can't take bikes on the Metro as this would have been a nice fall back to get you as far as Whitley bay if you were knackered. :heat:

As mentioned ,the first commute is the toughest. It gets easier with every trip. I started 2 months ago, and am hooked! Was at 3 days a week, now every day. And when I do take the bus I feel guilty as hell.

Before you know it the commute will become second nature and you'll be asking yourself "Why didn't I do this sooner?"

With that sort of distance make sure you leave enough days between commuting days in the early days for your body to recover from this new regime or you could find yourself running out of energy and finding it hard. Start off slowly and built it up over a few months and you'll be doing it easily every day but start doing it several days on the run at the beginning and you will start to feel it. I would start with say Tues & Thursday in a normal five day week and then go Mon, Wed, Friday and then start to fill in the days inbetween but adjust as necessary for other working day patterns.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Yeah thanks for advice guys, I first did it on Monday & I've done it this morning (obviously need my return trip later) but I was planning on doing it tomorrow aswell weather permitting.
I'm feeling really invigorated by the time I get my shower at work & ready to face the day.....really enjoying it actually !!
I overtook another cyclist this morning aswell which I was well chuffed with after I saw him & used him as motivation to get up a long steady climb, then just gave him a friendly nod as I rode off, & he must have been at least 15 years my junior I guess...YAY !!

And I've just discovered Strava.......oh dear this could get messy !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nice thread.

Well done Bob, Hope you keep at it.

Mr wogwon

Regular
I did my work journey today in preparation for my first commute tomorrow morning, I start at 7 so will have to leave early. It took my 42 minutes to do 10 miles, which I'm happy with, although tomorrow morning may be harder as I take a while to wake up lol ! I turned straight round and returned today but at least I've got 12 hours to recover tomorrow :-)

Bring it on !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I did my work journey today in preparation for my first commute tomorrow morning, I start at 7 so will have to leave early. It took my 42 minutes to do 10 miles, which I'm happy with, although tomorrow morning may be harder as I take a while to wake up lol ! I turned straight round and returned today but at least I've got 12 hours to recover tomorrow :-)

Bring it on !
Thats PDQ for a first attempt and I reckon after 5 or 6 trips you should have that down by 3-4 minutes.

Mr wogwon

Regular
Thats PDQ for a first attempt and I reckon after 5 or 6 trips you should have that down by 3-4 minutes.

What I didn't say was it took me an hour on way home due to it being mostly uphill lol ! I am hoping to improve though , the final hill on way home is a mile long and a killer my main aim is do it in one go lol !

Top Bottom