1st Half Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Took part in the Birmingham Half Marathon today, it was my challenge for 2012. I was dreading it as whilst I can knock out 100miles on the bike easily, I am not a natural runner and knew it was going to be tough. I ended up with a time of 1:48:44 which I'm totally stoked about. The longest distance prior to today was 10miles, which I really struggled with. My legs do feel very tight, so I'm probably going to be stiff as a board in the morning, but I managed to complete the run without stopping once.

Now on to 2013, and the next challenge.....the Marmotte in July ^_^.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ah good for you! A friend of mine has just run that too.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Well done..I'm the opposite I've run quite a few marathons quickest 3:29..But I'm trying to build up to 100 mile on the bike and finding it hard...

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Some different muscles used for running and cycling. I'm finding my hips and pelvic area aches more with running than cycling, that and the calves seem to be used more. I guess, as with all things, time and training make it easier. I'm not going to do a full marathon, thats justa step too far, but I do have this next weekend:

This vid is from the one earlier in the yr (you can see me if you pause at 42s, I'm in the middle of the frame all in black with the bald head!!!)

Damned good show!!!!

My first half was over he sands of Morecambe Bay, from Flookburgh (Cumbria) to Hest Bank (just north of Morecambe), that had 3 rivers entering the Bay, which meant lots of wading........
Oh, & no shelter from a 20MPH headwind for the last 6 miles

I managed a 1.42:53 though, which I was very happy with

(if I'd run it again this year, & equalled that time, I'd have been in the top30 - out of almost 500!)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I would have shouted encouragement at you if 1) I knew you were running, and 2) I knew what you looked like! I was standing outside one of the churches on the Pershore Road.

Did this run last year in pretty much the same circumstances - I'd never done much running before, so it was 5+ months of hard training from nothing to 13 and a bit miles. Did a similar time too - 1hr 46mins 11s.

How was the big hill at the end for you?

Top Bottom