1st Movie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
...with my new ATC3K (arrived yesterday). Apologies for how slow and boring I am. really didn't notice I was so sluggish until I watched this! ;)

For some reason the "watch in high quality" link is not there after I uploaded it to You Tube (the test vid I filmed indoors last night seems to have this feature). Also the image quality seems pretty distorted in parts - like it's being viewed from inside a fishbowl. Obviously it's juddery when the road is bumpy, as in the middle section of the film, going down York Road - Waterloo. The distortion is more visable in the top and bottom thirds of the screen when the surface of the roads isn't that bad. Is this normal? From other movies I have seen filmed with this cam, there are no such effects :girl:

Might be worth mentioning that I was using a 256MB old (ish) SD card just until my 4GB SD HC one arrives from Play. Could this be to blame?

Thanks

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pV8xiEfbJH0

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crikey mate, you don't half ride in the gutter on some of those roads!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's considered bad practice to ride that close to the curb. Some describe that sort of riding as "gutter nutter", if that indicates to you why it's not well regarded.

I can see where BM is coming from. Part of the blame though is in the cycle lane design. They encourage you to gutter cycle. I personally would try and avoid this where I could, especially where you are undertaking a bus or a large vehicle. It's when they edge forward and close the gap that it becomes a little worrying! However, to be fair, it isn't always possible to go down the right on busy jammed streets.

As you say sittingduck, your fairly new and you will improve. Just beware, posting videos online opens you up to all forms of criticism and abuse. I should know!! :evil:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, some of the video shows some good cycling, but of course it's far too easy to pick on the bit that stands out. Sorry sittingduck!!

BentMikey said:
Well, some of the video shows some good cycling, but of course it's far too easy to pick on the bit that stands out. Sorry sittingduck!!
:blush:

I wasn't suggesting that your comments were abuse. Just warning him that some others do make abusive comments. Just today I got a comment on youtube: a slow sign means SLOW you d*ck!

It was a bit random as it was on the general comments part on the front page. Oh well, one more blocked user ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No worries, I took the abuse as a general reference to some of the spirited discussion on videos, nothing to do with my comment, LOL!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
No problem BM ;)

I made another this afternoon and was bearing in mind what you said.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xubBqa01kM0

Tried hard to stay a good 3 feet from the kerb, although as the wise Magnatom says... it's not always easy on crowded streets. I normally take it very easy going down the side of the buses on Ludgate Hill in that nasty cycle lane and always half expect some numpty to jump out crossing the road!

Another thing is that the cam is mounted to the left side of the stem, on the handlebars. So the field of view is not 100% centered :blush:

The distortion in the top third of the screen is again visible but I will reserve true judgment until I test it with my new 4GB faster SD card.

Thanks for your feedback chaps!

postman

Legendary Member
Well done i see some motorists like to take a little of the cycle lane off you.My hat comes off in respect to all of you who commute in such busy traffic.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Just watched the first one. It is not in order is it ?
:biggrin: at the man at the beginning who doesn't look properly after posting his letter ;)
What was the cyclist in the orange top waving for ?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lol the orange top dude is a colleague of mine.... he was saying that when we turned left down onto Millbank from Lambeth Bridge it was a good spot to pickup some speed and that I should have gone faster! I prefer to be safer and not flattened by traffic at that particular junction though.

Letter posting city boy almost got squashed at the start ;)

Top Bottom