1st race!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LinkoVitch

Regular
So I have decided to give this racing lark a go... I have applied for my racing license on the British Cycling website and popped along to the Tameside track tonight to have a look at it (litterally look at it :smile: )

So any tips? I have no illusions of winning (just yet :biggrin:) but would like to not make a complete arse of myself..

Cheers in advance

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
So I have decided to give this racing lark a go... I have applied for my racing license on the British Cycling website and popped along to the Tameside track tonight to have a look at it (litterally look at it :smile: )

So any tips? I have no illusions of winning (just yet :biggrin:) but would like to not make a complete arse of myself..

Cheers in advance

For starters, don't go hell for leather off the front attempting a Merckxian 100km solo breakaway - it doesn't happen.

For your first race, I would stay in the pack (hopefully near the front, though everyone will have this objective) and get used to riding in close proximity to others. Expect shoulders to be used, but try and hold the wheel in front of you. Watch out for people jumping around the pack, of a generally excited disposition and avoid them....there's always a couple.

Hold your line round corners and try not to dive into gaps (i.e., swerving in front of other riders). Move slowly and steadily in the pack, and try not to make sudden movements. Pace is likely to vary a lot during the race, at one moment you think you may be about to die, then 2 minutes later you could be sitting in the bunch wondering what all the fuss is about. Try to finish the race at all costs (a DNF in the first one is likely to demoralize you).

Finally, 4th Cat races more often than not end in bunch sprints. If you're towards the front and have the nerve, have a shot. But be prepared, these are often messy affairs and it may be wise to leave it until you're more comfortable.

Another point to consider, don't be overwhelmed by the event. At my first race I was a little intimidated by the other riders, and also their bikes worth more than my car.

What kind of training have you been doing?

OP
OP
LinkoVitch

LinkoVitch

Regular
Another point to consider, don't be overwhelmed by the event. At my first race I was a little intimidated by the other riders, and also their bikes worth more than my car.

What kind of training have you been doing?

Thanks for the tips, I went along last night and had a look, I agree with the observation of the bikes! I think I heard that one guy was running with Di2 on his bike!

Training wise, I am not sure much if anything race specific, I try and commute to work daily (Manchester Eastlands to Rochdale, so approx 10 miles uphill each morning). I have started getting out of my saddle away from lights and up hills too, and try to hit a few time goals along the way as a measure of how well I am doing. I have also been riding up the hills of Mossley with my good lady on the tandem, and occasionally on my solo too. Planning a few runs out to Preston and back in preparation for the Manchester > Blackpool ride..

I have a small amount of experience of bunches (I think), I entered the 52 mile Great Cycle, finish time of 2:42, 81st in my age group.. I think I can better that, well plan to try.

My initial plan is just to try and complete the race, think I will just enter the 4th cat race (They do have a few 4th cats in the 1st/2nd/3rd cat race, but that was where all the scarey bikes and riders were also :smile: )

Training wise, I am not sure much if anything race specific,

You might be in for a shock then, but you won't know until you try.

A DNF may be inevitable in your first race, depending on your training and your level of fitness. Unfortunately, your finishing time in the 'great cycle' does not really have any relevance to the demands of circuit racing - and riding in a group in an event like that will not prepare you for bunch racing in a 4th cat crit.

Your targets for your first race should be to stay upright, learn and (ideally) finish. If you get dropped, keep riding until the bunch comes round again, then try to jump on the back. Keep doing that

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Training wise, I am not sure much if anything race specific, I try and commute to work daily (Manchester Eastlands to Rochdale, so approx 10 miles uphill each morning). I have started getting out of my saddle away from lights and up hills too, and try to hit a few time goals along the way as a measure of how well I am doing. I have also been riding up the hills of Mossley with my good lady on the tandem, and occasionally on my solo too. Planning a few runs out to Preston and back in preparation for the Manchester > Blackpool ride..

I'd suggest some interval training sessions (google it), and do you have access to a heart rate monitor? Though not the be and end all, they're useful for getting an idea of how hard you are training. You'll probably be surprised at how fast racing is, I was the first time^_^

Good luck.

montage

God Almighty
If you are struggling with the bunch dynamics, pick an rider who looks experienced and strong and stick on his/her wheel.
Hold your line in the corners, and don't half wheel (where your wheel overlaps with the person's in front). You might get shouted at, don't be disheartened by this, simply take the "advice" on board. Occasionally you do get the odd nobend or two giving newer riders a truck load of abuse - feel free to push these guys off their bikes*.

Another tip, which is a pet hate of mine, when you are getting out of the saddle to accelerate/sprint/stretch the legs, please don't use the bars to haul yourself up, stand up on the pedal stroke. Should you use the bars to stand up, then the bike underneath you proceeds to shoot backwards (relatively speaking) into the front wheel of the guy behind, causing death and mayhem.

Most importantly, enjoy! Get a few practice sprints in at speed (a long stretch after a downhill is perfect to get the speeds up to 40mph ish) that way you'll be more confident if you are still in the mix for the sprint at the end. Another point with the sprint - the hardest part is positioning. If you have the energy, get near the front with around 5 or 10 minutes to go, just before everyone else has the same idea - the extra energy spent is worth it.

*don't

OP
OP
LinkoVitch

LinkoVitch

Regular
Cheers guys, Thanks for the tips.

I do have a heart rate monitor, I tend to have an average heart rate on my rides to work etc of 160 BPM ish spiking to 175BPM ish.. so I think I am trying quite hard (Max is calculated around 185 IIRC).

Have been practicing the sprinting out the saddle fun on my commutes to and from work. I'll pay attention to how I am getting out of the saddle, make sure I am not hauling myself up on the bars (good tip!)

I'll have a look at the interval training stuff and give it a whirl, thanks.

I am planning to just get around the course and have a good time for my 1st run. I think it's about 30KM for the 4th cat race, so I should be able to at least complete that distance even if all alone *sniff* :biggrin: I do plan to hang on the rear wheels of anyone I can, I saw how quickly someone was dropped once they lost the bunch when I watched yesterday.

Thanks guys

how are you calculating your max HR..? According to your figures, your average HR on your ride to work is pretty much at what would be your threshold/Vo2 max...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're working hard on the commutes. Out of interest, what's your typical rolling avg speed on the commute? Is there a lot of stop-start riding, in heavy traffic or is it a more rural route?

OP
OP
LinkoVitch

LinkoVitch

Regular
For max heart rate I am using the simple formula of 220-age so.. 220-21... ahem.. 220-36 = 184.

Not sure what to take as my rolling speed on my commute, its uphill mostly on the way in and downhill (mostly) on the way back, and full of traffic lights. Think I have managed 25MPH+ on flats before now.

220-age is a largely worthless measure unfortunately. My own max HR is around 13bpm higher than that formula suggests - and if you are training by HR, then knowing your true max is essential.

The only way to get a reasonable idea of your true max HR is either to do a ramp test in a sports science lab, or find a long hill somewhere, ride up it as hard as you can and then about 100m from the top, get out of the saddle and sprint flat out the rest of the way. The number you record over the top is probably as close to your max as you will get on the open road, but it should be accurate enough to set your training levels by.

Make sure you are fully warmed up for about 30 mins before doing this though, because it's not pleasant...

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
You may find it slightly more difficult starting mid-season, as the more dedicated riders have been racing now for a few months and will have their race fitness already. The best thing to do (as you've already indicated) is to turn up and have a go, with no illusions on how you think you'll get on. If you're not already a member of a club, then I'd also recommend that you look into that.

I'm a couple of years younger than you, and only started racing this season myself. Now I'm pretty addicted to it! I've written a few reports over the last few months that may give something of an insight:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/popping-my-big-fat-4th-cat-cherry.97563/
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/race-report-shred-classic-2-3-4s-plymouth-hoe-13-05-12.101981/
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/east-devon-circuit-series-race-1.102561/

Your fitness (or comparative lack of it) is not anything to worry about. You can, in effect, race yourself fit. What takes time is the getting your head around the dynamics of the bunch: Where to ride, who to follow, when to put the big efforts in, how to position yourself assertively - all that kind of stuff. I'm not going to offer any advice on that, because I'm still learning myself! Make notes after you race... I love having numbers to crunch afterwards to see how I did and where I can improve. Also record how you felt, and what you think you could improve on. If anybody at the race is taking photos, then also see if you can look at how you're riding to see if there are any obvious improvements to your riding style. Take this one as an example:

7250463948_ce7acb0102.jpg

Aside from the fact that I'm still a tanker, and still need to lose another 10 kilos or so, I'm also on my brakes, when there's no need to be - I actually corner reasonably well, but I need to stop the temptation of slowing... Also my arms are not bent enough - I'm making things even more difficult for myself by not getting more aero.

Whilst on the subject of aero... I heartily recommend that you take a turn on the front if you can. Put a break in if you have the legs, even. What you need to appreciate is the difference in ability between the people at the front with the engines to actually drive the race, versus the people who sit in and take advantage.

Above all, turn up, enjoy it and don't be disheartened if you get dropped. Use each race as an opportunity to improve, not to mention an opportunity to have fun!

zizou

Veteran
I would advise on joining a club

There are alot of strong riders out there - who are more than capable of being competitive in terms of fitness - yet who are a liability when they start racing because they are not used to fast paced bunch riding. Riding solo doesn't help with this obviously and most of the group riding in a sportive isnt really a good substitute either.

Learning the basic skills in a club setting is not only a more forgiving place to do so than learning as you race but also considerably safer too.

OP
OP
LinkoVitch

LinkoVitch

Regular
Just an update on this, The day that was due to be my 1st race was a hellishday of stuff going wrong, this lead to me arriving at the track with insuficient fundage to register and race. I took this as a sign that I should just go home (despite the nice chap offering to let me owe them the extra!).. Was hoping to try again this week but alas, I have other commitments..

Give me some time to burn off the chub I added at Thorpe park at least :biggrin:

Top Bottom