1st road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanB

Thanks colinr,

Very excited. I've heard good things about the Allez range but my concern is tyre longevity. I think the reason I stuck with the hybrid for so long was the armadillos I stuck on them last forever. Can you or anyone recommend good slicks for the road bike? I've heard the continental armadillos are quality. Any good?

colinr

Haven't a clue, accessories forum people can probably recommend these things. Never heard of road tyres being any less hard wearing than non-road ones. I've Schwalbe Durano Pluses on my commuter but that's because I hate mending punctures ;)

iendicott

I have just bought a bike from Rutland cycles that Colinr mentioned. I have just gone from a Hybrid to a full on road bike and they couldn't do enough for me.

I too am doing a number of miles at the weekend. I could keep up with road bikes on the hybrid no prob's but I wanted to get into a bit of road racing and time trialling, I looked and looked for a number of months and thought a Ribble would be a good choice but after seeing a picture of one that someone took and hearing stories about the paint work etc I decided not to.

I had a bigger budget which helped so the contenders for me where Giant (which is the make of my hybrid), Felt, Scott, Orbea, Specialized and Bianchi.

The Bianchi is a lovely looking bike and I tried to source an 1885 but most places had sold out in my size.

I took the Scott out first which was a big mistake, the frame was just a little to big and it felt unstable but it was also the first ever road bike I had used. I then tested the Giant and Specialized, both competent bike but the Felt was something else. A high spec groupset and the perfect feel inbetween the Giant and Specialized which I ruled out both in the end.

I had gone into the shop to buy a Scott and not liked it. I went in a few days later to give the bikes one more test before committing and ended up trying the Scott again but as soon as I got on it the guy who was looking after me told me it looked to big and promptly ordered one from his other store. I went back a day later jumped onto the next size down Scott and it felt perfect, after a test ride the bike even felt alot more stable the second time round due to me not over stretching.

The moral of this story is try a bike a couple of times, it's a bit like a house on a second viewing, you will either love it or find little things you hate about it which means walk away.

Ivan

sayek1

Other options

I've just bought my first road-bike. Managed to up the budget a bit and went for a discounted Verenti Millook from Wiggle - they often have weekends with 15% discounts so got it for a little over £1k in the end.

Other good value options (I am no expert but plenty of people have told me so) include the Boardman range from Halfords - I think you get the Team for £700 or £800 and everyone I know who has one says they are great. My hybrid is a Boardman.

Also, the Verenti range has a starter at £800 - good reviews. Wiggle will also do you a 30-day free trail on a lot of bikes - I think all Verentis & also the Focus ranges.

Good luck. If you are like me the options are bewildering. However, I am sure that s long as you get the right size whatever you end up with in your budget will be very pleasing for you.

DanB

Hi All,

I was sized up on an Allez a while back (I'm 5'8") and the guy looking after me suggested a 54 as I was everso slighlty over stretching on a 56. The problem is I've been lucky enough to be in the enviable position of being offered an Allez Sport (56 size) for £240!?!? It's brand new but I've been lucky enought to have had some friends and family make a contribution towards it :blush:. It was a surprise gift so I had no say in the size. Is there anything I can do to minimise that slight stretch or does anyone feel that at my height the 56 may prove ok. When I sat on a 56 before it didn't feel too much different or unstable when I took it for a spin but I'll be covering some distance on it and I guess I'm worried about posture/stretching over prolonged period. Any advice?

colinr

Shorter stem, rotate bars back slightly and move the seat forward. Between these things you should be able trim a few cm off the reach.

Top Bottom