2 in one day....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....trying stupid overtaking / undertaking manoeuvres.

1st was in the morning. about 50 meters from the right turn I need to take off the main road and up to work. In secondary waiting checking behind for a gap in the traffic to pull in to primary. Gap appears, signal and pull out, other side of the road is clear so no need to stop to turn off the road. Check behind me and signal that I'm turning right, woman behind in Smart Car decides she's being held up and decides to overtake only to have to swerve back in front as I'm about to turn. Shook my head and shouted f****ng idiot.

2nd Similar situation on way home, waiting for gap in traffic, checking behind and siganlling when a gap appears to get into primary then the road splits into two, left for straight on and right hand lane to turn at the lights. As I'm in primary I just filter into the righthand lane. This time bloke in an Audi TT decides he has to get in front undertakes in the left lane then swerves back in front then has to stop as a car in front is waiting to turn right. Again shook my head and shouted f****ng idiot as his antics were quite dangerous. Bloke decides to have his say, winds down window and is hanging out ranting and raving about bloody cyclist blah blah blah. I pointed out that undertaking is both illegal and dangerous and he gained about 2 seconds. Called me a fat tw@t and wound up his window. I blew him a kiss as he went on his merry way.

Maybe the first wasn't that bad and shouting out didn't achieve anything but I thought it reasonable on the second given the nature of the Audi driver's action.

Rant over.

domtyler

Über Member
I can tell you from experience that shouting and/or gesturing is pointless at best and dangerous to your safety at worst and liable to leave you open to a road rage attack. Far better to simply put as much distance between yourself and them as quickly as you can and never engage with anyone on the roads as it will almost certainly be a negative experience.

Origamist

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
I can tell you from experience that shouting and/or gesturing is pointless at best and dangerous to your safety at worst and liable to leave you open to a road rage attack. Far better to simply put as much distance between yourself and them as quickly as you can and never engage with anyone on the roads as it will almost certainly be a negative experience.

Are you mellowing with old age, Dom?

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=271426&postcount=14

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
domtyler said:

You're quite right Dom and usually a shake of the head is all they get from me and the incident passes I ride assertively and try to be as courteous as possible to other road user. I think it was just the fact that it was two nearly identical incidents on the same day and on the same stretch of road and the guy in the Audi really pi***d me off.

LOGAN 5

Seem to be agreeing with Dom today:smile:

Engaging in any "conversation" with these awful drivers is just so frustrating as they're not going to admit they've done anything wrong although they probably know they have. It almost always degenerates into a slanging match and they're in the heavier, faster and potentially more dangerous vehicle.

After my spats with taxi drivers of late I've decided not to say anything to any of them ever ever again. If anybody says somethng to me then I'm just going to say shut up in a bored, dismissive kind of way and ride away (and hide:biggrin:).

Had a bus this morning trying to overtake me when I'd signalled to turn right well in advance of the junction and when the bus was some way behind me. He wasn't going to wait but I saw what he was doing in my mirror and again turned round (eye contact for added effect) and continued signalling whilst at the same time moving across the road to the correct position. His driving skills were so poor he hadn't realised that he had now run out of time and road space for an overtake (approaching traffic island at this point) so he had to drop back behind. I just shook my head.

Another one last night wanted to turn right across me but didn't want to wait for me to get past the junction. He started his manoeuvre (slowly as he was just moving off from a stationary queue) but I just carried on until he had to stop otherwise I would have been on his bonnet. Pure impatience.

On Monday (Streatham) a small van partially overtook me and another cyclist with his left hand indicator on and when he drew level with the road he wanted to turn down he just barged his way in front of us to turn forcing both of us to brake. Selfish that's all it is.

Top Bottom