2 miles each way - is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Basically I've decided I'm fed up with the time it takes to travel the two miles to get home each night and I'm going to ride it instead. I plan to drive in on Monday with bike in boot and then ride the rest of the week. I can use my company car for business use still and even to nip home at lunch when traffic is not an issue.

Never bothered until now due to the short distance, it's a lot of hassle arranging clothes in the right place etc for a a stupidly short commute, but I guess it's all mileage...

Just need to find somewhere at work to store my bike now!
 

GrasB

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
For two miles I would wear work clothes unless the weather is really bad.
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
Depends what your work clothes are and what job you do. I wouldn't ride to work in a suit for example.

But there's certainly no need to wear cycle specific clothing. Perhaps some clips to stop your trousers getting oily, but that's all.
 

Recycle

Guru
Location
Caterham
What are your alternatives? I think it's worth it and over that distance, I would only dress differently to protect from the elements (overshoes & rain gear when needed). If you take it easy you won't work up a sweat any more than you would on a walk (unless you are like me who considers every other cyclist a challenge, much to the dismay of a pair of middle aged legs).
I can't think of any alternative that's better than cycling in.
 

GrasB

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
Depends what your work clothes are and what job you do. I wouldn't ride to work in a suit for example.
Cycled across town in a suit before, no tie though, did that up at the destination. Quite amusing to see peoples reaction as they realise the guy they're trying to drop at 20mph is wearing a suit... :becool:
 

400bhp

Legendary Member
Oh yes, I'm sure it's fine on the odd occasion - just wouldn't want to be doing it regularly.
 

BSRU

A Human Being
Location
Swindon
I live about two miles from work but I do not cycle two miles to work, except for lunchtime.
I have cycle commuted over 9000km(5000 miles) this year.
 
Top Bottom