2 months without commuting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's the only way when you have kids - my job moved out to 30 miles from home and a company car 9 years ago........spent 9 years commuting some considerable distance by car....put on 2 stone..... decided enough was enough and moved closer to home - now commuting 8 miles each way by bike and it's quicker than car/bus, and have hardly missed a day in the last 6 months...now 2 stone lighter and fitter than when I was when racing.... biking at weekends is a pleasure - I can now get up and over any hill without worrying if I'll make if home.... the bike riding is a pleasure now...

Plus ride hard when commuting, it's training you know...whooo loads of free time in the evenings..... no need to rush out for 3-4 hours at weekend - a couple of fast hours on the road bikes is great when time permits at the weekend..... Where possible use commuting time wisely...... it's free time essentially... wife now gets time to pop to the local gym for classes, gives her a break from the kids too.

The family benefit is great..... despite the 'risk' element, it's much better for the lot of us - I did ask the wife if she was OK with me commuting again last year (after having had a nasty crash just before moving 'out' for a new job) and she was..."Well I've got my old husband back... - i.e. the fit , not porky, healthy one....."

Keith Oates

Janner
Commuting is so good at keeping you fit, especially if you put some effort or training into the ride. It's using up time that would otherwise be wasted sitting in a car/train/bus etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

All common sense. But one thing I'd say is if by doing one or two days a week you find you're just worrying about being home in time for kids, then stick to the car. There's no point in tying yourself up in knots on the bike as you wont enjoy it, and might even grudge it.

I say this cos it's happened to me a few times!

Top Bottom