2 New steeds to add to the collection.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chappy

Guru
So I have just taken ownership of these two recently one is a Raleigh Esquire 1974 and the other is a Raleigh Shopper 1981. Both are going to very very slow time restoration projects I am thinking more along the lines of strip down clean up and put back together rather than source new parts and replace. I am really looking forward to striping down the sturmey archer hubs never played with those before and having looked at some you tube videos on them they seem like they could be fun to play with.
IMG-20160502-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20160502-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20160502-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20160502-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20160502-WA0007.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
The video by the bloke wearing fingerless gloves on YouTube is very good. I think it is in two parts. I followed it and had no problems. I even managed to replace a couple of pawl springs.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
So I have just taken ownership of these two recently one is a Raleigh Esquire 1974 and the other is a Raleigh Shopper 1981. Both are going to very very slow time restoration projects I am thinking more along the lines of strip down clean up and put back together rather than source new parts and replace. I am really looking forward to striping down the sturmey archer hubs never played with those before and having looked at some you tube videos on them they seem like they could be fun to play with. View attachment 131838 View attachment 131839 View attachment 131840 View attachment 131841 View attachment 131842

Nice bikes. I don't know if you are on the book of face but if you are there is a Raleigh Twenty (shopper) FB page. Lots of resource there if you need it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fab! I love the BSA Shopper (or Raleigh Twenty clone). Minimal restoration required. White wall tyres required and still available!

To make mine usable I fitted an modern longer seatpost and comfy saddle and it's really a great bike to ride. 36 miles the other Sunday and 54miles coming-up. No harder to ride distance than the Brommie once it has decent tyres.

Top Bottom