20?? - 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I joined in late 2012, because I was looking for group rides without the formality of joining a club. I was a member of the cyclingscotland forums when they existed and I think also the cyclingplus forums.

I rode a Focus Cayo 105 and a Specialized Langster Steel (the worst bike I've ever owned, it tried to kill me several times).
My first ride with CC Ecosse was a very wintry but memorable and enjoyable ride to Loch Lomond and back via the Queen's View.

At the time I was a web developer and living with my partner. Since then I've had a number of jobs, one with a great team and a terrible working environment (a basement office in a city with the lowest amount of sunshine hours in Europe), one with extremely toxic people in charge (but hey, they had actual windows). After the breakdown this caused and my subsequent ensinglement, I moved across the country to work for a big software company, bought a Triban, lost 5 stone, went on numerous CC Ecosse jaunts including a 3 day trip to Islay and a 4 day trip from Glasgow to Inverness, did dozens of sportives, knocked most items off my bucket list, completed 11 months of the ICAM challenge before getting randomly attacked on a night out, which shattered the illusion that I was coping and caused me to fail the ICAM challenge.

In the midst of another breakdown I handed in my notice (tbh it was a jump or be thrown situation), bought a colleague's Planet X Kaffenback, and spent a large chunk of my savings getting it converted to a proper tourer before sodding off to tour around Europe, only for the bike and everything on it to get stolen after a month on the road.

The next year I got injured trying to participate in the ICAM challenge without adequate training and regained all of those 5 stone, without regaining any of the power or endurance I had previously as a fat lad, and I haven't done anything worth mentioning since, whether on the bike or off it.

I'm in a far worse place now than I was 9 years ago but at least I'm no longer fooling myself with delusions of adequacy. :whistle:

I still have all the bikes mentioned (apart from the Kaffenback :cry::cry:) but only the Triban gets any use because it is cheap to maintain and hasn't tried to kill me.

I desperately miss CC Ecosse, it got me through a very dark time. So many adventures and fantastic days out with great company.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar
Apparently I joined in 2013, I think I discovered this forum from Bikeradar forum. I'd got back into road biking about a year before on a 2nd hand Bianchi, before that I'd just done the odd bit on a mountain bike at weekends, but commuted part by bike for a good number of years.

I now have significantly more bikes, one less wife, one more girlfriend, who now has more bikes then when we met. Very much enjoying riding and tinkering with bikes.

Similar-ish job now to then, but in a different cocktail bar.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I joined in November 2011. At the time I still had a wife in normal health tho’ she subsequently died in 2015 after developing Parkinson’s.
I had I think 6 or 7 bikes at the time but mainly used a Merida mountain bike and for touring a 1980’s converted mountain bike. As my wife got progressively worse my touring was curtailed but I got a Brompton for car use as any free time I could go to different places.
My old Flying Scot has been given to someone who restores them as a hobby and so far the frame looks pretty good but not seen the finished article due to covid travel restrictions.
Now old age and decrepitude has galloped on to me partly due to covid restrictions and I use an Ice
Adventure HD locally and when possible on the cyclepaths north of Oban.
My mountain bikes have gone to my youngest son and also to a grandson but I still have a Bike Friday, Brompton and a GTech electric as well as my 1980’s tourer.
The trike is a problem on single track roads due to heavy tourist traffic from now on.

I joined in 2008, following an off-the-cuff carrera virtuoso bike purchase, having decided that 15st on my slim body wasn’t what I wanted in life.
I set about gaining fitness for L2B, and completed it in 3:45 minutes, beating my estimated time by 15 minutes, which moved me to tears entering Madeira Drive in Brighton.
I continued with the virtuoso for commuting 8 miles each way, at 3:30 am over a variety of early morning start jobs for the next few years, and in 2011, left my wife and daughter for pastures new, as my marriage had some issues.
Soon after, I met a woman who took to my twin passions of cycling and photography, and in 2018 we cycled to Paris.
We still cycle, and I still do photography, and my daughter, now 24, doesn’t hate me for leaving.
We have used a tandem for 4 years, cycle touring in Guernsey, and lots of off road cycles over the South Downs, and to Brighton and Portsmouth.
I have maintained my health well, but at 55 seem to be suffering some low energy, and a 16 mile commute each way is an effort, only done a few times a year in good weather, unfortunately.
I have enjoyed my time here at CC, although did stop for a while as life got in the way!

Last edited:
I joined in August 2013. Since then I’ve had two more children, remained happily married, moved house twice, bought a few bikes, wrote one off, sold a few and now have what I consider my happily ever after bike that I will keep as long as possible as no other bike I see excites me as much so not got the N+1 itch.

In terms of my health I started off fat, got thin and fat a few times. I am currently sitting on the heavier end again but with a 32” waist not the 34” waist I had in 2013 with a fitter cardiovascular system. I’m using the excuse it is muscle.

Venod

Eh up
I joined I think in 2013 as Afnug, I changed my user name for security reasons unconnected to this site, but I was getting a bit paranoid, I was looking for some info on something but can't remember what it was.
I was in part time work, having retired full time early 2012, I am now fully retired.
A cycling accident in 2015 has left me with a somewhat useless left shoulder, but I am still riding.
We have two more grandchildren since 2013 making seven:ohmy: in total.
Bikes, I have had/still have since 2013.

Kinesis Gran Fondo Ti (gone)
Kinesis Pro 6 CX (gone)
Van Nicholas Chinook Ti (gone)
Cannondale CX (gone)
Cannondale Headshock F4 MTB (gone)
Cannondale Si Lefty MTB (gone)
Marin 1992 Bear Valley MTB (gone)
Genesis Core MTB (gone)
Genesis Flyer Fixie (gone)
Willier Fixie (gone)
Cannondale Synapse Carbon
On One Pickenflick Ti
Trek Pro Calibre 8 MTB
Planet X Superlight Team (permanent turbo bike but roadworthy, considering selling)

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
Id been arrested for burgling an old peoples home, and the judge offered me the choice of 5 years in the slammer, or enlist with CycleChat. It's turned my life around, and after 9 years im more or less straight.
This should be in the “True Factoids” thread!

Top Bottom