20-40 miles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had porridge before I set off on my metric 50 km the other day. I was on the scooter and didnt even take a drink with me. Maybe we are all different.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Am doing altrincham chester in the morning, thats all i take if you eat to much slows me down.

Similar....I did Stockport (via Alty) to Delamere Forest and back to Stockport on Saturday on a big bowl of porridge, some flapjack squares en route and a bacon and egg sandwich at the end.

Temptation is to mentally think that out for a bike ride = eat as much as you like when you get back. Not such a good idea, especially for me

classic33

Leg End Member
Little and often is worth considering.
If you feel like you need a drink/fluid intake, chances are its later than you should have done.

galaxy

Veteran
Its a no brainer not to take at least a drink. For sake of taking a few nibbles too. Some days you need its, some you do`nt.

theloafer

Legendary Member
being scots,porridge
this is good stuff easy peasy to make

BRANFLAKE LOAF

More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...

Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method

1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.

2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)

3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.

4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Top Bottom