20" rear wheel Trike chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill B-J

I'm likley to be a bent owner by spring.

Waying up the pros and cons!

Wondering, with the chain line not being much off the ground on its way to the rear derailler, on such as Trice Q, -------

Does the chain get covered in road muck quiker than on larger wheeled machines?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
weighing up mate. I think it does tend to make the chain slightly dirtier, at least on a two-wheeler. Less on a trike, because there's no front wheel in-line and throwing up muck. Anyway, it's not enough to be a concern or problem IMO.

byegad

Legendary Member
My QNT chain stays fairly clean, certainly cleaner than my Thorn Club Tour's chain ever kept. The fact that most of the run is in tubes and there is no front wheel spraying muck all over the chain at the front more than makes up for a few inches of chain near the reaer wheel.

White lightning:

476375_f260.jpg

Sorry - I meant:

5497.jpg

stevew

But there is about three times as much chain there so it wears at 1/3 the rate of the chain on a DF. Never the less it costs about three times as much to replace it so it all ends up the same !!

byegad

Legendary Member
Well I swapped my QNT chain at 1800 miles or so (it was covered in sand after a two tours in Suffolk) and fitted a new 2 and 2/3rds chain.
The old one is not worn out, showing much less tan 2/3% wear on a Park tools chain checker, (the 2/3% bar is nowhere near going into the link) neither the cassette onor the chainrings show any discernable wear.
After cleaning it and regreasing it in a chain bath it is now waiting for 3600 miles to come up to go back on the trike. I expect to use both chain lenghts at least twice and possible three times before I need to change chains, cassette and chainrings.

Top Bottom