20 stones I weigh, and looking for a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vinny

Hi, new to this forum.

I weigh 20 stones and it's been 30 years since I've been on a bike. I am wanting advice on what bike will serve my purpose, not wanting to get embarrassed with rear wheel looking flat when am riding if you get my drift. My purpose is leisure riding on weekends with family and friends. I am 5ft 10. Inside trouser leg is 31 not sure if that helps and I weigh 20 stones.

I am a bit embarrassed walking into a shop and sitting on bikes to test, so really looking for some advice before I can start shopping. Just being honest, am sure this reaches to many...

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably best to look at something like a hybrid. Carrera subway from Halfords should fit the bill for under £300. Solid frame, decent chunky tyres, pretty bombproof

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike

Size wise, just go sit on one or two and see which is comfortable

You will probably want some padded shorts, there's a brand called Fat Lad at the back and some others go larger too

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Most MTBs have a 125 kg limit, so would be fine. Road bikes vary, starting at about 105.

Howecer, for your proposed use Vicksters suggestion of a hybrid sounds sensible, and the Subway is as solid as they come, with a good rep and a loyal fanbase.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Good Luck Vinny. Takes a bit of guts to get started but will definitely help you get fitter and lose some weight. I also think the Subway or something similar will be good . If you get the bug and want something flashier later the subway will still be a good workhorse to have as well. I would look for something with no suspension and 32 or 35 c tyres .A wide range of gears to help you up hill is also important.

lots of folk on here have done what you are going to do now .keep us posted on your progress, you wont get piss taking only encouragement.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Vinny. You've decided to grab the bull by the horns, so to speak, good for you.

As has been said the Subway is a good budget buy, as long as you don't consume too many of their rolls! Many who haven't ridden a bike for a while will find the saddle rather difficult to get on with and the stock saddle will likely be a bit cheap, cheerful and possibly not too comfortable. I can't give you many tips about choosing one because were all different and its not necessarily related to price. Softly padded ones aren't always the most comfortable either, its all about shape. Try a few if you can. Padded shorts might help.

You'll find it difficult at first but it does get easier. The right size frame is of utmost importance. Your local bike shop will be able to advise. Halfords can be a bit hit and miss, depending if you get Wayne or Harry, the bike experts. As a guide your leg should be more or less straight sitting on the saddle with the pedal at six o'Clock.

Good luck.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Do t be embarrassed mate I was 21 stone when I started out and I felt like a fish out of water going into a shop and looking at anything fitness related. End of the day though they just want your money and don't care what you look like. Carrera Subway is a good choice I had one as a commuter used it abused it never cleaned it used it in all weathers and it never missed a beat. Helfrauds are usually pumping them out at crazy prizes especially at bank holiday weekends so keep an eye out.

Salar

A fish out of water
20 stone, you should see how big some riders in the USA are.
As suggested a solid hybrid may well be the way to go.
I've gone up to 19 stone myself in the last few months:sad: through lack of exercise and discipline!

For some encouragement google "Clydesdale bikes" "Clydesdale rider" etc..

Good Luck.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Vinny,
I was over 20 stone when I bought my present and only bike, a Voodoo hybrid.
I'm down over 4 and a half stone, I'm now sitting just over 16.
I did some calorie counting for 6 months last year.
pick a bike,
get out and enjoy.
Oh, and I was 59 and hadn't owned a bike in over 40 years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And out very own Gaz was 39 stone when he started, and got down to about 16 (he is a 6 plus footer). He's not on the site any more but I do hear from him occasionally.

Top Bottom